Naval Officer's Dress Uniform

skipproo1

Greetings,

Hope this is the right forum for my uniform.

I have a strange navy uniform with rank that I cannot identify, because of the anchor above the LT. stripes. I tried from Civil War through to WWI “U.S Navy Ranks”, no success. I only found a star above the sleeve stripes. I did see however that in WWI they did place other symbols besides the star above the stripes to indicate the title of rank, eg. Pay master or LT. of line etc. But no anchor.

The uniform is tail coat the trousers have wide golden metal stripes, I'm not quit sure but I think the “uniform” pre dates WWI. I found a pair of white gloves in the back pocket of the tail coat. I think it would have been more for fancy balls than in action.

The epaulets which was on the tail coat have their ranks missing. You can see however that there was some on there at one point. You can see the remains of five metal contacts on “what I will call it the base”. I assume that there would have been a big silver anchor. On the top part of the epaulets you can see a line of tiny holes almost running through the whole section. Or there were two big ornaments on there. It is hard to see on the photos. Maybe brass, as there is the typical green brass “patina” on two different sections on the top part of the epaulets.

The buttons are all the same with a small anchor and a bomb like stencil on the back.

My question is what rank am I looking at, what could have been on the epaulets and what hat does the star above the sleeve insignia actually mean.

Any advise will be thank full.

Skip

post-64565-0-24492300-1510774417_thumb.jpg

post-64565-0-47655500-1510774418_thumb.jpg

post-64565-0-22555200-1510774419_thumb.jpg