WWII infantry

Tomr1969

Can anyone tell me what the parent unit type 06 means on a service record. My father was in the 112th infantry in Germany at the battle of the bulge and I'm trying to find out what battalion and company he was in?

• 2 weeks later...

Take a photo, but blackout any PII personal identification information social ssn # and addresses as such, it may be easier for us to see what you are looking at form wise.

Parent unit type refers to for example to an Infantry Companys parent unit type is Infantry Battalion.... the 06 currently is for Field Artillery. The 06 is the Table of Organization TOE "" code. I'm assuming 06 hasn't changed from WWII to now. Just because his parent unit was Field Artillery just means his unit was assigned under that larger organization.

I looked at archives.gov, there's an article called Top Secret: Recovering and breaking the US Army and Army Air Force Order of Battle Codes, 1941-1945, part 2.

The number is - the type IE 11 series = Infantry MOS. Head to google and type in "Army Series Code 06 + TOE" and you will find a few links that will show all the series codes for the different types. That gives ya a lot to start digging into.

Thank You all. It just says "parent type". I am checking out all the links recommended. I have just started to weave my way through the web of government coding and their meanings. Thank You All For Your Service. Happy Thanksgiving!!!