Civil War Officer Buckle

This is a buckle that I've had for a while but it was only until recently that I've had worries that it was a post war plate. The hook on the back seems to large for a civil war period plate. There's also a matching 53 on the buckle and on the other belt attachment. If any body can confirm or ID differently please let me know! Thanks!

post-173715-0-37022600-1510577178_thumb.jpeg

I am no expert, but both of my reference books show this to be smaller for the M1851 plate, and even the 1874 plate, Both of the M1851 plates I own are smaller....?? keep asking. JMO

Thanks. The back hook just seems too large for a civil war piece but its not made like a m1872 buckle either, so I don't know.

While the issue 1851 belt plates will have the narrower hook this one is a commercial product for purchase by an officer or pretentious NCO and the like-- note the integrally cast wreath. On commercial plates you will get both wide and narrow hooks. There is some tendency to date the wider hooks as a bit later in the war, but I don't think that really holds up. In any case, you will find plenty of war date examples with the wider hook in O'Donnell and Campbell, American Military Belt Plates.

The belt slot on the side of the plate marks it as the 1851 pattern. The later versions of the 1870s, 80s etc. do use the wider hook, but they eliminate the belt slot and use a bar on the back of the plate.

All that having been said, the hasp has an odd look- it seems too roughly cast-- and there are some very good replicas out there, so i would nose around online and make sure it does not line up with one of them. A couple of dealers keep archives on their sites of reproduction and fake buckles that would be worth looking at. I would try googling "fake and reproduction buckles" and the like to bring them up.