Color Constabulary pix

tredhed2

I told ya, the Constab was initially an elite unit - in the pic from the same batch the vet gave me, it says on the back that German PoWs and US prisoners are laying PSP at Biebrich in the Spring 1947, for the 1st Constab Bde Air Section Airstrip. The Constab just took the pix!

:lol:

124 Cav - those are some very nice photos, and some GREAT lookin' troopers. Some, I had seen before, but others were new to me. I believe #27 was taken at the 4 Ring/McNair Barracks (Berlin). In all fairness to TredHed's Constab troopers, we should point out that the 16th was a hand-picked unit; whereas the great majority of the Constabulary was just plain ole draftees, doing their jobs the best they could. By virtue of its super high-visibility mission in Berlin, the 16th (and its successor unit the Berlin Brigade) got the proverbial "pick of the litter". They were truly a "showboat" unit. Also, it would be interesting to know the dates of the 16th photos.

The 16th Constabulary Sqn was at one stage the 78th Recon Trp.

The 78th Recon recieved a draft of Ft Riley trained horse cavalry troopers just afte VE day.

Im pretty sure they came from Trp Y,1st Training Regiment and graduated in September of 44.

They arrived in Europe as horse cavalry and had no mission to perform until the 78th Infantry formed a mounted platoon for the division recon troop.

The balance of the horse men either went to the ETO remount depot and processed surplus Gerry horses or pooled under the banner of the Ocupation Horse Sqn provisional.This unit existed for about a month and then the Constabulary was formed and the troopers went to the various horse platoons.

I have somehwere a pic of 16th Sqb horse troopers with 78th patches on the right sleeve.

Ill have a poke around the archives and see what i can find.

As to the dates the portee is 45,the 4 pocket is 47 and the airfield snap is 46.

Ill double check all that this evening.Hope i have shed some light.

The 16th seem to be wearing German army spurs as well in a lot of the pics.

Regards to all

Sam

1st AAA Group
Great shots!

I had read that Constabulary EMs wore Ikes at all times, while officers wore pinks and greens. Interestingly, these guys are in 4-pockets!

G

Gil, from a reference book which mentions this subject..."The enlisted men's olive drab coat was revived as a special uniform for the US Constabulary." It was worn as a dress uniform.

1st AAA Group
Copyofimg445.jpg

Looks like the parade was held on part of an Autobahn! Super sharp salute from the mounted officer. Check out what looks to be white tops on the vehicles in the parade across the road.

The 16th Constabulary Sqn was at one stage the 78th Recon Trp.

The 78th Recon recieved a draft of Ft Riley trained horse cavalry troopers just afte VE day.

Im pretty sure they came from Trp Y,1st Training Regiment and graduated in September of 44.

They arrived in Europe as horse cavalry and had no mission to perform until the 78th Infantry formed a mounted platoon for the division recon troop.

The balance of the horse men either went to the ETO remount depot and processed surplus Gerry horses or pooled under the banner of the Ocupation Horse Sqn provisional.This unit existed for about a month and then the Constabulary was formed and the troopers went to the various horse platoons.

I have somehwere a pic of 16th Sqb horse troopers with 78th patches on the right sleeve.

Ill have a poke around the archives and see what i can find.

As to the dates the portee is 45,the 4 pocket is 47 and the airfield snap is 46.

Ill double check all that this evening.Hope i have shed some light.

The 16th seem to be wearing German army spurs as well in a lot of the pics.

Regards to all

Sam

Here is Troop Y,1st Training Regiment at Ft Riley.

This is the nucleus of the horse platoon of the 78th Recon Tp

img176.jpg

img177.jpg

other side of the yardlong

ive yet to watermark these so please no reproducing without credit

Sam

p.s sorry i apear to have hijacked this thread

i will bring it back on topic with some colour stuff soon

1st AAA Grp - Re: autobahn....... actually, that's a wide street (called the 4 Ring), at McNair Barracks in Berlin. In the early years after WWII, it was just as you see - divided by a grass median. Somewhere in the early 60s, the paved the media. Most US parades were held there, up until McNair was closed in the early '90s..

Go to: http://www.berlin-brigade.de/us-ins/us-ein9.html

2d pic (aerial view) c1992 - the 4 Ring is in the lower left. You can see the covered reviewing stand.

12th pic down (after the shot of troops recovering the huge garrison flag). The 4 Ring is on the far right of the photo, and appears as it did when the 16th was passing in review, 10-15 years earlier.

124th Cav........ NOOOOO mistaking those last 2 pix. Yeppers, old Camp Forsythe. I spent a VERY cold winter there with 1/4 Cav in 1969. You NEVER forget that rimrock, lol!!

It was called called Camp Funston during the war,is Forsythe the post war name?

Or was it another part of Ft Riley?

1st AAA Grp - Re: autobahn....... actually, that's a wide street (called the 4 Ring), at McNair Barracks in Berlin. In the early years after WWII, it was just as you see - divided by a grass median. Somewhere in the early 60s, the paved the media. Most US parades were held there, up until McNair was closed in the early '90s..

Go to: http://www.berlin-brigade.de/us-ins/us-ein9.html

2d pic (aerial view) c1992 - the 4 Ring is in the lower left. You can see the covered reviewing stand.

12th pic down (after the shot of troops recovering the huge garrison flag). The 4 Ring is on the far right of the photo, and appears as it did when the 16th was passing in review, 10-15 years earlier.

124th Cav........ NOOOOO mistaking those last 2 pix. Yeppers, old Camp Forsythe. I spent a VERY cold winter there with 1/4 Cav in 1969. You NEVER forget that rimrock, lol!!

Camp Funston was several miles east of Ft Riley, about halfway to Manhattan (there was a large POW camp there). Camp Forsythe was just west of main post Ft. Riley, at the city limits of Junction City. Your pic was made on the parade ground at Forsythe. I went to my father's graduation from OCS on that parade ground, but being 3 years old, I really don't remember it all that much. ;) Sadly, the last time I visited Riley, they were in the process of tearing both old camps down.

not color, but here's mine.. Can't tell you who took them or who he was with other than Constab.. Maybe some ofthe names will help. These are undated and un named.I'll put what was on the back..

"Here is part of a bombed building right across the street from me. You can see what a bomb can do. it happened in the last war."

post-4106-1226453237.jpg

post-4106-1226453252.jpg

"This is taken in the main part of town. It is now a P.X. You see the tarrace where I checked in. I ate a banana split up there one day. Just call me big shot."

next pic:

Mindelheim, Germany '46

post-4106-1226453484.jpg

post-4106-1226453498.jpg

B.Fogle + Coporat +me + Chaveze, Oberstaufen, Germany 1947

2nd pic(note the all greens dress): Lt. Kennedy, Oberstaufen, Germany 47

3rd pic is unidentified(possibly the soldier these belonged to)

post-4106-1226453692.jpg

post-4106-1226453763.jpg

post-4106-1226453818.jpg