Best veteran assistance organizations?

mikie

There are plenty of organizations around that accept donations to provide services to veterans and their families. But I always am concerned that any donations I may make are best used for the purpose. Do any of you have recommendations on the organizations that provide the best services the most efficiently? I have looked at rankings online, but would like to hear input from any who have actually had experiences they would like to share. Bottom line is, I'd like to help but want to make sure that the vets get the biggest bang for the buck. Thanks.

Mikie

PS. Sorry but I hope this is an acceptable place to post this question.

I shop three different thrift store chains that "support" veterans and I suspect they are like most donation-based "charities" in that a shockingly small amount of revenue goes to actually helping people. The one chain that seems to do the most for vets is DAV - but the DAV closest to me once fired all employees because of rampant theft of donations. Based on what I don't see for sale in DAV stores I suspect there's still a lot going out the back door.

The article provides some good info: https://www.charitywatch.org/charitywatch-articles/follow-the-money-beware-of-groups-that-pass-your-donations-to-inefficient-charities/169

I can't speak for other states but in Iowa we are required to have a VA commission and Nation Certified VA service officer on staff in each county of the state. They even state the number of hours our office must be open based on county population. I know that most all the service organizations have veteran service officers on staff that work or our veterans at both the medical facilityies but also work to advance and settle our veterans claims through the VA. If you're elgible you should belong to one of the veterans service clubs, don't which but join one of them...

I support the Gary Sinise Foundation, and feel pretty good about that.

I highly recommend seeing the Lt. Dan Band if they play in your area.

Good morning. The Lt. Dan Band played recently where we are stationed and the event was supported by the USO. He seems like a genuine person who enjoys supporting the military. Of course I'm a huge fan of the USO as well.

What do you enjoy? A way to approach this might be to seek out an organization that is in line with your interests. For example if you enjoy hunting I'm sure there are organizations that take Vets on hunting trips. It might help you narrow the field a bit.

Thanks for supporting!

Thanks for all the tips. Looking for advice on the internet gets frustrating since I don't know who to believe. Making a donation is a fine feel-good action, but bottom line is that if it doesn't actually do the vets much good, it isn't worth doing. There are some general, non-vet specific groups I support,that I am sure veterans make use of. But would like to find a vet help group I could have confidence in. There are plenty of vets around here and figured I'd go to the source. Thanks again!

Mikie

• 2 months later...

The VFW Foundation has a solid reputation for funding programs that really help military personnel, their families and veterans. In fact, in one program, they grant $5,000 to military families in financial need due to deployment issues or situations that unfold within a specific time frame after deployment.

• 1 month later...
Brian Keith

I know you specifically asked about Veteran services, I want to answer as to what I personally saw as a deployed soldier (Afghanistan 2012-2013). In US airports, and EVERY military overseas stop I made, there was a USO providing computers and internet connections, free snacks, drinks and coffee, and at some times hot dogs and hamburgers. They had comfortable chairs, real flush toilet bathrooms*, air conditioning, usually free magazines and books and audio books, free toiletries and other comforts. I can't stress enough how great it was to be able to send and check e-mail to and from my family while in transit. They offered phone service also, but I just sent e-mails.

*If you think that was a funny comment, it isn't. Not all war zones have flush toilets! (well, maybe the Air Force has flush toilets everywhere in their war zones, but the Army sure doesn't!)

The only time I saw a Red Cross building was at Bagram Air Base, very near the major HQ buildings. I didn't see any Red Cross people, ever! I supposed if I had entered their building I would have. But, the USO provided services everywhere I went. (With the exception of the small base I was at).

BKW