It's the little things

bellasilva

This morning I was at the mall and was flagged down by an elderly man sitting on a chair. He asked me if I could tie his shoe, and said that at 97 years old, he would never be able to get back up if he tried to do it himself. As I was tying his shoe, I asked him if he served during the war, and it turns out he did. He was a Radar Technician on the USS Spokane, so naturally I was elated to talk to him. He said that his memory has begun to rapidly fail him, and he doesn't remember any of his buddies or many specifics about his service.

I haven't been collecting or studying military history nearly as long as some of you, but I couldn't help think that when I did start to get into it, this man was 80 years old and undoubtedly would have remembered much more of his time in the service. I kick myself every time I don't get the opportunity to talk to a vet. I very strongly urge any younger, newer collectors to approach these men and women and speak to them if only for a couple of seconds, while we still have them with us and are able to relay stories of their service. Put faces to the items you are buying and selling, forget the dollar signs for a moment, and just listen to them.

easterneagle87

Awesome story! I will say, Thank you for your service, because that is the service that is appreciated. I see the guys with their dark blue "veterans" hats and wonder what they saw or went through. Such times we will never see again. As a vet myself, I have one of those hats. I'm only in my early 50's, and I too want to hear the stories of not only the older guys, but of these younger vets as well. Your ounce of kindness is valued tremendously!