Painting the local Legion’s cannon

Brian Keith

A museum Im associated with volunteered to repaint the local American Legions cannon. We were just about starting to spray it Sunday afternoon when a tornado went through about three miles north of us and the power went down. Had to spray it Monday evening. The gun is a WW II vintage 3 inch Gun, M5, an anti-tank gun developed in the US during World War II. The M5 was issued exclusively to the US Army tank destroyer battalions starting in 1943. 2500 were produced. It saw combat in the Italian Campaign and in the Northwest Europe campaign. After WW II, the tank destroyer forces were re-evaluated and it was decided to disband then in favor of tank battalions, have tanks fight tanks. The guns became obsolete; this is why you see so many of these in front of Legions, VFWs and on the court house lawns now.

We plan to deliver it back to the Legion Saturday AM for Veterans Day. Ill make and post a photo after we get it back in place.

Thanks for looking.

BKW

post-1549-0-31617600-1510106284_thumb.jpg

post-1549-0-76851900-1510106310.jpg

What shade of OD or OG are you going to paint it? I've got a few much smaller restoration projects going on and am having a hard time finding the correct shade of OD/OG paints. Any advice?

I am by no means being critical and I am thankful that there are folks who will do stuff like this to keep these old guns looking battle ready. However,speaking as a guy who was involved in the automotive paint industry for 20 years, i have to ask, what are the plans to repair the rust that I see. Putting paint over unrepaired rust only allows the rust to return a few months later.

Our group did two of these back in the early 90's. One found behind a defunct VFW post, the other in a city graveyard. Went through Tank Automotive Command on the VFW one to get transfered to museum. One from city was " live" but for broken off firing pin. Sand blasting is about only way to prep something like these. We cut out rusted trails, welded patches, ground to fit, primed and painted. Tires needed tubes on one, new on other. Used the city gun at MTA at Jamestown. Lots of fun.

What shade of OD or OG are you going to paint it? I've got a few much smaller restoration projects going on and am having a hard time finding the correct shade of OD/OG paints. Any advice?

I know you didn't ask me, but here's a website I found that has various kinds of OD and OG paint.

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=1189