Winchester, Mod. 1897 "Trench Gun, Mod. 1917" type, 12 ga

mdk0911

I have seen this shotgun for sale and I just don't think something is right - the metal looks to 'nice' compared to the wood - has a grey park finish - what think all?

thx

mike

post-80886-0-26491100-1510014403_thumb.jpg

post-80886-0-97542000-1510014412_thumb.jpg

post-80886-0-19122400-1510014420_thumb.jpg

post-80886-0-93982000-1510014430_thumb.jpg

post-80886-0-04468700-1510014443_thumb.jpg

post-80886-0-64157000-1510014449_thumb.jpg

post-80886-0-57443100-1510014458_thumb.jpg

I dont like the finish JMO. Should be blued. Other than that a M1897 is going to have the typical bumps and bruises. I pick em up and give them the shake test, like a .45 to see if there a rattle trap. (worn out)

price is always a big factor as well...if its cheap enough its still a M1897

I'm not expert by any means but I think it's a later rebuild from a standard 97 cut down. Looks re-parked to me and why the Full choke markings on the barrel?

Trench shotguns, Winchester T97's were the non-take down models? Is that correct? This one is a take down model.

This one does not appear to have any ordnance or US markings.

I think your example is a "put-together" example.

Chuck.

They had both takedown and solid frames but there is nothing right about that guy. Serial range for WWI was 614,080-733,016 and WWII was 916,513 - 955,402. All '97's were originally blued. They didnt park guns until the Model 12's, Ca. 1,028,000. That finish looks sandblasted, not parkerized. Any parkerizedd Model '97 would have been redone anyhow. The choke marking would be "Choke". Lacking ordinance / US markings. Run, don't walk from that one...

US Military Guy

I'm not expert by any means but I think it's a later rebuild from a standard 97 cut down. Looks re-parked to me and why the Full choke markings on the barrel?

The easiest way. Trench (and Riot) guns were NOT marked Full choke (since they were not full choke).

I own several and this one is a complete fabrication. Just about everything possible is absolutely incorrect on this one. I would stay away from it unless they are giving it away.

Parts gun for sure. Not a military contract gun at all. Barrels were marked for a 2-3/4" chamber and marked "CYL" (for cylinder bore).

all the WW1 shotguns were solid frame examples with a dark 'dipped blue' finish (the WW2 guns were charcoal blued IIRC)......

The buttstock sling swivel is incorrect for a trench gun. But, as gomorgan and US Military Guy pointed out, the clincher is the FULL marking on the barrel. A real trench gun would be marked CYL for cylinder bore, meaning no choke. This is without any doubt a cut-down sporting shotgun.

• 2 months later...

Guys, allow me to ask some questions. I am looking at a 1897 Riot. Based on this thread, the good is a nice clear “US” on the left side of receiver. It is blue. It is marked CYL.

The unknown: it has a sight bead. I do not recall seeing sling swivel(s).

The worrisome: it’s serial places it manufactured in about 1921.

COAs: it is a trench gun built in the interwar years and is legit.

It is a legit aerial gunnery trainer, cut into a trench by the Gov’t before WWII.

It is a “buy back” gun, a CIV gun bought by the Gov’t in the early days of WWII and cut into a trench.

It is a fake.

I don’t have any pics. The owner seems willing to go to Winchester and pay for a letter. That should tell us SOMETHING.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be rather blunt: Don't Buy! If you have to buy something, buy as many books as are currently available on U.S. Martial arms and read-study them until you know exactly what to look for BEFORE you buy anything! Try to look at as many documented 100% original guns as you can in person. A picture in a book will not "stick" in your mind near as well as looking at the real thing with your own eyes. This will take some time and lots of leg work at gun shows, military shows and/or museums. Until you can form a mental picture in your mind of what a particular gun should be technically and look like, resist the urge to buy anything! Not knowing before you buy is 100% your fault, not the seller's! I'm not trying to make this a rant, just motivate you to do your homework and avoid an expensive mistake. I've seen many more "fake" trench and riot guns over the years than real ones. It's just the reality of the market today. Good luck in your pursuit!

There are several books out there that cover trench shotguns, one by Bruce Canfield that has been updated.

If you are looking for information on the Winchester trench shotguns, you need this by Joe Poyer. It's been out of print for several years, and can get pricey but if you have patience you might find it on ebay for around $40. There's one right now on ebay for a BIN of $99.

US Winchester Trench And Riot Guns And Other US Combat Shotguns

With utmost due respect, with no pictures, it's like getting a haircut over the phone.

In today's age, pics are super-easy to get.

Who exactly are you talking to?

• 2 weeks later...

Who exactly are you talking to?

To you Im pretty sure. I have police marked riot gun, all the way over here in little old New Zealand :)

They had both takedown and solid frames but there is nothing right about that guy. Serial range for WWI was 614,080-733,016 and WWII was 916,513 - 955,402. All '97's were originally blued. They didnt park guns until the Model 12's, Ca. 1,028,000. That finish looks sandblasted, not parkerized. Any parkerizedd Model '97 would have been redone anyhow. The choke marking would be "Choke". Lacking ordinance / US markings. Run, don't walk from that one...

Where did you get your ww1 serial number range from?