How do i give shape/structure to WW2 Hat

FightenIrish35

FightenIrish35

I have a few hats from WW2 era that are both U.S. and Japanese(yes i know thats not US. forgive me lol.gif ) that have lost there shape and need something to put inside that will not damage the hat and that will give it shape and structure.

Also what is the best way to display them properly to not loose anymore shape.

Thanks ahead of time fellas.

B)

IMPERIAL QUEST

Well, I don't collect headgear, but I did use small plastic bags (like the ones used to bag items at Wal mart) with very good results in the display of my Air Service uniform. The bags can be bunched up, rolled, or stuffed in another bag to give you almost any amount of support or shape that you want, and they usually don't cost a thing.

FightenIrish35

this might sound dumb...but could there be nything on the random bags that would have a chemical or something its made with that could damage the hat itself?

Croix de Guerre

Acid free tissue paper is the way to go. Here is a link from the Smithsonian Museum Conservation Institute. You also need to worry about the hats own weight slowly pressing down on leather brims, like an officers visor cap. If you sit a hat like this on a shelf,,you might come back in a few years and find the thread holding it on weakened.

http://www.si.edu/mci/english/learn_more/t...e/acidfree.html

FightenIrish35
Acid free tissue paper is the way to go. Here is a link from the Smithsonian Museum Conservation Institute. You also need to worry about the hats own weight slowly pressing down on leather brims, like an officers visor cap. If you sit a hat like this on a shelf,,you might come back in a few years and find the thread holding it on weakened.

http://www.si.edu/mci/english/learn_more/t...e/acidfree.html

Perfect that really helps me...I heard about the acid free paper and my father actaully thought that would be the best way but I really wanted some more opinions. Now lets says i inserted with acid free paper and then gently placed it on a mannequin head. Would that hold the shape.

I have tried a few methods to put some shape back into headgear. Rings made of steel coat

hangers to put in the caps are not to bad, even cardboard cut to shape works.

let us know how you get on. thumbsup.gif

Croix de Guerre
Perfect that really helps me...I heard about the acid free paper and my father actaully thought that would be the best way but I really wanted some more opinions. Now lets says i inserted with acid free paper and then gently placed it on a mannequin head. Would that hold the shape.

It sure will and you don't run the risk of damaging the old cloth. A little cotton cloth between the hat and the styrofoam and there you go.

post-3356-1226022761.jpg

FightenIrish35

Wow awesome....once I get some acid free paper i will put together and display again...thats for the tips...and by the wat that hat looks great like that Croix de Guerre

Croix de Guerre
Wow awesome....once I get some acid free paper i will put together and display again...thats for the tips...and by the wat that hat looks great like that Croix de Guerre

Thanks! thumbsup.gif

Cotton cloth (unbleached) is the best way to go. When I volunteered at the QM Museum at Ft. Lee. they were big fans of acid free paper to wrap all textiles for storage but I know that can be a little cost prohibitive.

I would avoid metals or plastic, at least long term. I've reshaped a few pieces of WWII visored headgear using steam but I wouldn't recommend that unless you've had practice with items you don't mind possibly damaging as the steam can easily ruin a visor or sweatband.

Just some thoughts. With any conservation or restoration method, you can ruin an item if you don't know what you're doing. As a side note, some of the headgear I reshaped with steam is still in my collection and I have not noticed any long-term effects (20 years).

Best,

Peter

I've used acid free tissue as well as the unbleached cloth but, have found that the acid free tissue is the best way to go as it tends to retain it's shape better than cloth. Wire is a no-no... Steel wire rusts, copper corrodes and turns green and aluminum will bleed with time leaving a black mark. Plastic bags leach contaminates, the manufacturing process for plastic uses petroleum and other nasty chemicals. I've used newspaper in the past for a quick fix until I got some tissue but, this shouldn't be considered a permanent solution.

FightenIrish35

Thank you fellas. My father and I ordered some acid free paper and are awaiting its arrival.Will let you all know how it turns out :)