40th Division WW1 camo helmet

SEABEE SON

I picked this one up a few years ago to commemorate my grandfather's service in the 40th "Sunshine" Division. He went over with the division to France in September 1918. This was not a frontline division, so it is likely the camo was done as a memento by the soldier. The paint is old, and there seems to be some paper remnants, perhaps what is left of a mail home label or some other kind of tag? I really like the colors and pattern on this one, as well as the insignia.

post-101060-0-57289400-1509930951_thumb.jpg

The 40th was used as a depot division during WW I, partially due to a dispute between BG Stoneman and Pershing.

As a depot division, many of the men were transferred into other units as replacements and saw combat.

FYI - the command staff of the Div did not like the orientation of the patches as painted on your helmets. The men were ordered to wear their patches square; many opted for round patches. Looks like the original owner of this helmet got away with one.....

Thanks for the replies. Here are a couple of pictures of my grandfather in uniform. No patch on his uniforms. Also one of his famous compatriot, Buster Keaton.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Incredible photo's and heritage along with a very appropriate memento(I really like those camo helmets) of your grandfathers service.