Unmarked Officer's M37 Dress EGAs

Mark M

Here is a very nice set of WW2 vintage officer M37 dress egas. These came from the son of a Mustang who served during WW2. These were reportedly a set of Bailey Banks and Biddle made, yet the reverse is not marked to them. Can anyone positively ID the makers of these gems?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

post-569-1226011655.jpg

That's a nice looking set that I would pay handsomely for. They look BB&B with the solid area between the legs and the stippled globe, but you cant say for sure. Let me know if they are ever for sale.

Maj Manifor

teufelhunde.ret

Mark, have spent a good bit of time combing thru pic files on my computer & forum ref sec - and have come to the conclusion that this cannot be 100% ID'ed w/ the knowledge I have today. I am 99% sure the cap emblem anchor rope is of NS Meyer design and production techniques in the 30's as well as the placement of the sterling hallmark on the reverse of the eagle - the "gfilled" thats something not seen on NS Meyer marked birds.

The continents in applied nature are a throw-back to BB&B designs from 20's on known examples - that cannot be dismissed. And the collar emblems too have very similar continents to hallmarked BB&B's and finally the cut of the eagle just to similar to BB&B's of the period and not to be dismissed - esp the cut of the eagles wings, identical and nothing like NS Meyer hallmarked examples...?

I agree with Mike's sediment - comments completely.

I'm leaning for the lack of any other abilities in figuring these out - towards NS Meyer as they did make items for others and in doing so left out hallmarks - the rope design, placement - configuration 100% Meyer. These may have been of transitional nature, for the lack of better explanation - however still not comfortable in stating that. I could spend the next 2 hrs pulling up comparison picture examples and likely not be any closer to positive ID. Nonetheless these may very well be of BB&B production, that possibility CANNOT be ruled out.

If this party has interest in selling, his best outlet is obviously Ebay as it has the greatest draw of high end EGA collectors - my own sense as to potential value is 1200-1500 and I would not be surprised if they sold for more with the "right folks" bidding... as their pristine "matched" condition is seldom seen in a set. s/f Darrell

msg_569_1225972076.jpg

msg_569_1225972081.jpg

Hello

Brand new to this forum, this is my first post. These M37 (possible BBB) EGAs belong to me. They came in a rather large lot of insignia all belonging to one Marine. He was in WW2 and retired in the late 50s as a LtCol. You'll notice some Army shooting badges and collar flashes. He was in the California National Guard in the late 30's earning several unit shooting awards (pictured) before joining the Corps. Mike has graciously posted the first photos for me to assist in identifying the maker of these beauties.

You'll see in the photos that this officer had two sets of EGAs, the other marked H&H. I was told by the son that the (possible) BBB set was the first set his father had and then bought the 'cheaper' set (H&H) later on. Dont know if that puts anything in perspective with regard to dating the EGAs.

Everything in the photos came from the Marines son. The only item he still has is his late fathers mameluke sword which Im still hopeful he will give me the opportunity to add to the lot.

I've only recently started collecting USMC items in the past year. I've collected WW2 Germany for the past 20 years. Therefore Im hoping some of you can give me a ball park figure as to what this lot might be worth.

Im also active duty USMC (CWO4) and happy to see some fellow Leathernecks on the site.

Thanks to all who have and will provide input. Feel free to educate me, like I said, this is all pretty new to me.

SF

Hessian

post-4618-1226447136.jpg

Hessian

Welcome aboard! Glad you decided to join up and I will let you continue with this post as these are your eagles!

Regards,

Mark

teufelhunde.ret

Hessian, welcome aboard! Its a great, unique grouping for sure. Thank you for preserving this Marine's history and sharing it with us & best of luck in securing his mameluke sword. s/f Darrell

• 11 months later...
teufelhunde.ret
Hello

Brand new to this forum, this is my first post. These M37 (possible BBB) EGAs belong to me. They came in a rather large lot of insignia all belonging to one Marine. He was in WW2 and retired in the late 50s as a LtCol. You'll notice some Army shooting badges and collar flashes. He was in the California National Guard in the late 30's earning several unit shooting awards (pictured) before joining the Corps. Mike has graciously posted the first photos for me to assist in identifying the maker of these beauties.

You'll see in the photos that this officer had two sets of EGAs, the other marked H&H. I was told by the son that the (possible) BBB set was the first set his father had and then bought the 'cheaper' set (H&H) later on. Dont know if that puts anything in perspective with regard to dating the EGAs.

Everything in the photos came from the Marines son. The only item he still has is his late fathers mameluke sword which Im still hopeful he will give me the opportunity to add to the lot.

I've only recently started collecting USMC items in the past year. I've collected WW2 Germany for the past 20 years. Therefore Im hoping some of you can give me a ball park figure as to what this lot might be worth.

Im also active duty USMC (CWO4) and happy to see some fellow Leathernecks on the site.

Thanks to all who have and will provide input. Feel free to educate me, like I said, this is all pretty new to me.

SF

Hessian

This insignia group is now listed on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT