Help with the Pins on Scott Glenn in "Hunt for Red October"

stratasfan

Hi! OK. This is different, but I am hoping someone can help me out with this one! Any way that someone who is up on submarine badges could tell me what the pin on the right chest is (right above the "Mancuso" name tag)? I would really appreciate it is someone could post photos of that and the dolphin pin that he is wearing. I got a model of the Dallas from the movie, and would love to get the insignia and patches to do a display. The Dallas is my favorite!

Also, are his rank pins on his collar the same as a Lt. Col. in the Army and AF? (Just thought I would ask here, in case I don't need to start another topic in the ranks board.)

post-151812-0-30174900-1509744744.jpg

Can you by the "US Navy" strip that he is wearing? Or are those actually sewn on the uniform?

Plenty of Command at Sea insignia on ebay...... I think there are two sizes, the one in the movie is the smaller of the two.

Here's a small one as in the movie......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USN-US-NAVY-SHIP-SHORE-AIR-COMMAND-AT-SEA-MESS-DRESS-MINI-QUALIFICATION-BADGE-G/192043109893?epid=2213121899&hash=item2cb6a94e05:g:LkgAAOSwux5YQiNc

Also, are his rank pins on his collar the same as a Lt. Col. in the Army and AF? (Just thought I would ask here, in case I don't need to start another topic in the ranks board.)

No...the Navy and Marine Corps use oak leaves that have the main veins, but not all the fancy additional

Navy: 1.jpg

Army: 2.jpg

Oh, thanks! So, he is a Commander?

Thanks for the Command at Sea info. No idea about that, and I couldn't tell exactly what the pin looked like from the film. They never give it a close-up! ;)

His Dolphin pin . . . is it silver or gold?

Oh, thanks! So, he is a Commander?

Thanks for the Command at Sea info. No idea about that, and I couldn't tell exactly what the pin looked like from the film. They never give it a close-up! ;)

His Dolphin pin . . . is it silver or gold?

Officers wear gold dolphins

Looks like the only question not answered is the one about the Navy tape. You can buy those individually. Officers have gold thread for their name tape and US NAVY tape on their coveralls (on subs we call them poopie suits)... enlisted have ones with silver thread.