Civil War 1852 Navy Officer's Sword - Short Pattern?

Hi,

Could anyone shed any light on why they made this sword with a shorter blade? I only found one other like this on the net that a dealer was selling but no historical information on the sword. The top sword is a standard length officer's sword made about 1905. You can definitely see the difference in blade sizes. The CW sword is marked W.H. Horstmann & Sons/ Philadelphia.

post-129350-0-41653600-1509740586_thumb.jpg

Well, I only know about British swords, but young midshipmen do have swords made that are shorter, just like this one. So, if it were British, I'd say that's what it was. I assume America has the same, back then.

Thanks for the input. Now that you mentioned it, I would guess that it was probably made for a Midshipman. Most were in their teens and actively serving aboard ships during that era.

My Sister is (and has for years) been working on the genealogy of a titled English family from Cornwall, and right now is in the process of transcribing the letters from one of the Earl's sons who served in the Royal Navy, and then had to resign, due to hearing loss. After that (still a young man) he went (as a bystander) with his brother to the Crimea. The brother was a Coldstream Guards officer and was killed at Inkermann, while the ex-Navy brother watched. :( However, there is a funny letter from Henry (the USN brother) and he is writing to his father to ask for a new sword. He had his small Midshipman sword, and was climbing into a row boat from his ship, and his sword fell overboard and was lost at sea. He was asking for a full-size one, as he had grown so much that the old sword was hardly reaching to his knee anymore.

Stratasfan,

Thanks for posting the story. Seems like your sister is doing a lot of work on that project. I really do think now that it was a Midshipman's sword, that has to be the only explanation for the slightly shorter size.

This could also be a "Child's Sword" or a "Cadet" sword made for children or youths. These smaller swords were made in Europe and the US and were listed in period German sword catalogs as a "Kindersable" or children's sword. Horstmann was primarily a sword assembler and dealer who made some of his own parts and bought others from various sources. These Kindersable are generally found without a maker or dealer name but some will be found with Bannerman markings.

A nice variation BTW.

When Ames delivered it's first 500 Pattern 1852 Officers' Swords to the Navy they came in three blade lengths of 26, 27 1/2 and 29 inches. What is the blade length of your sword. The shortest blade on any of my 1852's is 25 1/2 inches and its on an import.