Jungle Jacket

With a first pattern jungle jacket, I might expect more non-subdued insignia, but I guess anything is possible. Could be ok, but with something like this, credible provenance is required, as these are easily constructed with period components.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

Yea, buttons do not look correct, not to mention all subdued insignia. Mixed color and subdued might be real.

"The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him" G.K. Chesterton

"A people that values it's privileges above its principles will soon lose both" D.D. Eisenhower

donation2009.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2017.gif

One caution before this gets ripped apart.

Some of the SF soldiers preferred the older pattern jungle fatigues, and used them well after the Vietnam War was over. Either they had been issued them earlier in their career, or they bought them at the various surplus stores around Fort Bragg.

I agree the name tapes look post war, but the wear of the insignia seems fairly uniform. So this one is a tough one to call.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

The uniformity of wear makes me think this was assembled and then laundered numerous times. Moore sells cut-edge patches (including twill MAC-V and 5th SF Group with tab) and their own repro 1st pattern jungle fatigues. I don't know if the jacket or any of the insignia is original, just a thought.

http://www.mooremilitaria.com/insignia/twill-div-insignia.html?___SID=U&p=1

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Also something else to think consider CPT Colby was a character from Apocalypse now. He was the guy sent to kill COL Kurtz before Martin Sheen. I remember several years ago on eBay someone was selling jackets made up with the insignia that all the characters in the film would have had so this could be one of those.

"No staff officer has ever won a battle though they have been responsible for losing a few."

"One of the serious problems in planning against American Doctrine is that the American do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine" Apocryphal quote attributed equally to a WWII German officer and Cold War Era Soviet Doctrine

Also something else to think consider CPT Colby was a character from Apocalypse now. He was the guy sent to kill COL Kurtz before Martin Sheen. I remember several years ago on eBay someone was selling jackets made up with the insignia that all the characters in the film would have had so this could be one of those.

Good thought. I remember uniforms being made for Kurtz and Willard, but not Colby, but who knows?

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Some of the SF soldiers preferred the older pattern jungle fatigues, and used them well after the Vietnam War was over. Either they had been issued them earlier in their career, or they bought them at the various surplus stores around Fort Bragg.

Absolutely correct - I saw a first pattern shirt being worn by an officer at Ft. Benning in 1985. Assuming this jacket itself is original, this insignia configuration could have been worn well into the 1980s. I see nothing wrong with it, just probably not Vietnam era.

Looking for older Virginia Military Institute items: insignia, uniforms, cadet sabers, documents, and groupings belonging to VMI alumni.

Also interested in Virginia Reserve Militia (VRM) uniforms and insignia, or other items of general Virginia interest.

Absolutely correct - I saw a first pattern shirt being worn by an officer at Ft. Benning in 1985. Assuming this jacket itself is original, this insignia configuration could have been worn well into the 1980s. I see nothing wrong with it, just probably not Vietnam era.

But, not with a MACV left shoulder patch.

donation2017.gif

But, not with a MACV left shoulder patch.

Not sure what the shoulder patch has to do with it - I was just agreeing that first pattern shirts were used in the 80s. For what it's worth, I saw plenty of MACV patches being worn on the left shoulder during the same time period.

Looking for older Virginia Military Institute items: insignia, uniforms, cadet sabers, documents, and groupings belonging to VMI alumni.

Also interested in Virginia Reserve Militia (VRM) uniforms and insignia, or other items of general Virginia interest.

Not sure what the shoulder patch has to do with it - I was just agreeing that first pattern shirts were used in the 80s. For what it's worth, I saw plenty of MACV patches being worn on the left shoulder during the same time period.

MACV SSI on the left shoulder in the 1980's? What units of the Military Assistance Command Vietnam were active in the 1980's?

Sorry, should have said right shoulder regarding my observation from the 80s. Guess I shouldn't post at 0530 any more, at least until I've had my first cup of coffee!

The left shoulder patch on the jacket that started this thread dates it to 1973 or earlier. Still, it's entirely possible that a first pattern jacket with subdued insignia was being worn in 1973. Without provenance I guess we can never be sure.