FSSF V-42 find

ODA021

So I wanted to share this V-42 I picked up. It came from the widow of a Original 10th Group member who joined Special Forces in 1952. He was a 19 so not a WW2 veteran. Unfortunately that is where the story ends. Sadly, she had no idea where he had gotten it. Looking at the knife's condition versus the Scabbard I would guess the scabbard was not original to this knife. However, there is a good impression of the knife on the scabbard. I'd appreciate any comments.

post-505-0-20699700-1509672240_thumb.jpg

Great looking knife

I would say the scabbard is original to it.Some didnt age as well as others.

Looks like someone may have added extra checkering to the thumb print.

Its a nice example.

Greetings,

I agree it is a nice genuine knife, but I do not recall them leaving the factory with the pommel pin so squished/peened over. Perhaps, the pommel came off and was reattached? There was another nice conditioned example on this forum not too long ago (ostensibly from Ft. Bragg), which possessed a similar pommel pin showing similar (but not the exact) over-peening and (repeated) pommel's surface strikes where the pin was missed and the pommel was struck instead (everyone, oohed and ahhed over it too).

On my own V-42 example, you can barely see the pommel pin, but it remains flush with and the same color as the pommel's surface. Just wished to point out this anomaly and hear what other V-42 owners' thoughts were?

V/r Lance

Patchcollector

I'm certainly no knife expert,but from what Lance and Doyler are suggesting about possible fixes/mods makes me wonder if some of these knives may have been "reconditioned" for postwar usage for small elite units,such as Special Forces,either privately,or by the Military?

I think that is certainly possible. I have photos of 10th Group at Bragg wearing WW2 camo frog suits, foreign gear, etc. There was also a thread talking about Early LRRPs in Germany getting V-42s. I'm sure that the early Special Operations Units could have what they wanted.

I would be curious about the pommel as well.

FSSF guys were still in the army up into at least the 1970s. I remember in the SF magazine "Veritas", in 1970 highlighting two Special Forces senior NCOs who were still in one of the groups, that were former FSSF members from WW2. So the likely hood of V42s bouncing around different units was likely. Seems I read somewhere that when FSSF was disband in France that only 300+ V42s were turned in. Granted, a lot would have been combat loses, or the troops kept them. But that's a far cry from the 3600 issued. Who knows? SKIP

Greetings,

I agree it is a nice genuine knife, but I do not recall them leaving the factory with the pommel pin so squished/peened over. Perhaps, the pommel came off and was reattached? There was another nice conditioned example on this forum not too long ago (ostensibly from Ft. Bragg), which possessed a similar pommel pin showing similar (but not the exact) over-peening and (repeated) pommel's surface strikes where the pin was missed and the pommel was struck instead (everyone, oohed and ahhed over it too).

On my own V-42 example, you can barely see the pommel pin, but it remains flush with and the same color as the pommel's surface. Just wished to point out this anomaly and hear what other V-42 owners' thoughts were?

V/r Lance

I had the same thoughts about the pommel pin. Just looks weird and not original.

The combination also makes me wonder. Why would someone take a really nice scabbard (they are worth several hundred alone) and put it with a questionable knife for that very reasonable starting price. If the knife is in fact not altered, is worth a lot more.

I appreciate the comments. I don't think the knife is questionable it's just been repaired. I think militaria collectors often forget knives and kit were supposed to be used. Lol. The back story on this knife is that when the this guy retired in the early 70s he put all his military gear in a crate and nailed it shut. It stayed that way till 43 years later when I got to open it after his death and bought the contents. So why the sheath is beat up and the knife isnt, I don't know. But I think the knife is a clean example with a replacement pin in the pommel.

I agree there is nothing suspect to me about the knife.

A re-peened pin or replaced isnt a factor to me.Anything could have happened.

Was it taken apart when they tried to add the additional machining to the thumb print??possible.

Was the pommel loose from the handle shrinking and then redone?possible

I have seen a couple rebuilds and the cushion on the cross guard on them were cut off or removed at some point.

My first V42 I owned had a smooth leather stacked handle(never had the grooves cut and wasn't a replacement) and no cross guard cushion.THe story was a Korean war era Ranger carried it and had been 509th PIR in WW2.It was still in the full length scabbard.

THis nice as originally posted came from a 10th Grp member and that alone is quite a intresting history.To find it in the box the vet packed away you cant really ask for much better and I would loose a bit a sleep over a pin being peened or a dark scabbard.

Its a beauty.Enjoy the hell out of it..you deserve it!! :);) (and would love to see the crate of goodies)

Doyler,

If you look at my postings under Groupings, in May of 16 I posted some of the nicest items. I took his medals, Class As, and one of his German made berets and framed it for the wife so she could donate it to 10th Group. So it is hanging up in the Group HQ.