NAMED SEAMAN LINER-TRAINING? AND WHAT ARE THESE INSIGNIA?

INIMICUS

FROM A WWII / KORWAR, INFANTRY LT. ESTATE

LINER IS SEAMAN (CIRCLE 'S' AND NUMBER '3') WITH GRAY A CLIPS AND HBT WEBBING SO EARLY WW2 RIGHT? PAINTED MOST LIKELY IN THE 50s I'D GUESS.

WHERE THERE'S A CHIP OR 2 IN THE GLOSS GREEN I SEE DARKER GREEN UNDERNEATH. YELLOW STRIPE = TRAINING OFFIER, CORRECT? BUT WHAT STUMPS ME REALLY IS THE (HAND-PAINTED) TRIANGULAR INSIGNIA. WHAT'S 'CGR' OR 'CCR' AND '3' ??

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. THANKS FOR LOOKING! PIX IN 2 POSTS...

post-496-0-23379800-1509582135.jpg

post-496-0-53643300-1509582150_thumb.jpg

thanks a million gents I'll move it there. am I right in dating this to the, what? '41-'42 period?

More likely 44-45 production due to the black A washers

actually washers are gray and look like unfinished or phosphate-coated, or zinc coated steel or whatever. and if the liner is late we expct the darker, greenish webbing not the tan HBT, yes? or were there transition periods where makers used whatever was at hand?

Guess my eyes must be bad. In the last photo of post two the washers look like later black washers. My mistake, disregard my post.

No. You don't see OD#7 webbing until the 1950s. And later 50s and early 60s it turned into heavy cotton.

Washers look to be oxidized brass which would have originally been black. 44-45 is a probably right on the money.they just look gray from dust mixing with the oxidization. look at the tops of the A washers for the nape suspension you can see dull exposed brass.

hey thanks for the addl. intelligence. tho it still leaves the Q. of why Seaman mixed late war washers with early webbing?

The webbing is not "early" all late war liners are made with black washers and OD#3 webbing.

Credence Clearwater Revival! :P

Well thank God I wasn't the only one who's first thought had more to do with great music than with something military. ;)

Just to clarify, early wedding would be silver rayon, later OD3 was used and the early version of that had snaps for the Riddell style sweatband. The version you have came about in late 42 or early 43 (can't remember off the top of my head) and was used until OD7 (green webbing) replaced it post war sometime around 1950. Unlike other gear liner webbing did not change to Green during the war. I know most canvas items did and it confuses a number of collector's especially ones that are experienced with gear so I just wanted to make it clear what's going on. Looking at your liner it is a typical 44-45 production liner. Nothing about the way it's made is out of the ordinary.