Leather Ball Turret Gunner patch with Donald Duck

decwriter

Has anyone seen a leather patch like this one? On the surface it appears to be significant to completing 35 missions as it has 35 bombs on the upper part. I searched the internet, but couldn't find another version in any configuration. Donald touching the turret is pretty funny!

I'm just curious and I'd like to know what you all think.

Randy

post-634-0-71496600-1509580568_thumb.jpg

vintageproductions

There are at least three of these known to be out there.

Great Italian made squadron patch.

At the ASMIC show in KC this year there was a grouping with one of these patches in it and it was identified. Unfortunately, no one can remember who bought the group.

There are at least three of these known to be out there.

Great Italian made squadron patch.

At the ASMIC show in KC this year there was a grouping with one of these patches in it and it was identified. Unfortunately, no one can remember who bought the group.

I believe the grouping that was purchased at ASMIC KC had the airman's HD, and it showed the last unit of assignment, which was some 4 digit air base unit.

Thanks to both of you for the response! This was sent along with the paperwork of an Air Corps Sergeant who served as a gunner with the 464th Bomb Group in Italy. He was shot down on 29 May 1944 and returned to duty, but no longer flew combat and ended with nine total missions.

Oddly enough, he was a commercial artist according to his NARA file prior to serving in WW II.

• 2 months later...

Here is my version, without the bombs on the top edge.

Mark

Your Duck also looks to be wearing a leather flight helmet and the other a headset. Great looking patches. Always a fan of Donald Duck.