How to store collection while in college?

ww2guymandude

ww2guymandude

Well with college out of state coming up within the next year for me, I’ve been thinking constantly on how to store my collection. Is there any way to store items in a dorm room? Or will I have to leave everything back at home? I’d really appreciate some input on what to do in this situation.

Thanks,

Evan

I would definitely leave everything at home. A dorm compared to a house is wholly unsecure. The only thing I might consider taking would be a couple reference books, just dont tell anyone how much you paid for them.

I just started my freshman year at Texas A&M University and I have continued to collect while Ive been here. I kept my collection at home but I did bring a trunk with a combo lock to store items that I purchase while Im here. The trunk stays locked all the time and only I know what is inside of it. With that I am still able to buy and even sell items while Im here. As for the items that I plan on keeping i just hold onto until I go home for the weekend and I drop them off there.

Its doable but you just have to take some precautions to keep your collection safe!

Good luck!

-Steven

WittWorldWide.com

I would 100% Agree... Keep at Home. While not knowing the type and value of your collection (And Don't Disclose that here...), I would also talk with your family insurance agent. Most of this stuff is not covered without proper riders to policies if it has value over typical home contents. Every policy is different, but if it falls into jewelry, collectibles, antiques, firearms, it can be another game.

Also, as always, store in Clean, DRY, Cool Environment. Assuming you weren't bringing the following to school, but If you have Blades and Firearms, always a good idea to wipe down with fine oil (Made for Guns and Knives...) when stored.

Good Luck at School,

Rich

I keep all of my collection in storage bins in my closet back home. I too keep a small safe in my dorm where I store stuff I buy up here but I actually display some items on my bookshelf in my dorm. (Just keep your dorm locked when not in the room)

As the father of a college student, I can say that this is what parents are for :) I started collecting in the mid 70s. When I went off to college in 1981, I left everything with my Mom and Dad. In fact, they kept it until I was in my late 20s and got the collecting bug again.

ww2guymandude

Thank you guys for the input! I’d like to point out that a majority of my collection is made up of wool uniforms from WWII era which is what worries me the most because of those pesky moths. Any certain way to store these uniforms safe from moths? As I know my parents will not want to air them out monthly.

-Evan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I buy and scavenge cedar whenever I come across it. The cedar chips and blocks you can buy at the stores do the job ok, but if you can get ahold of some freshly cut pieces they smell even stronger and work better at keeping bugs away IMO.

Among the hardest things I ever did was being away from the M1 most of the week for four years... Make good use of your library for research, and comb the area for new finds.

Like others have said, leave the collection at home. Too many people coming in and out of dorms so it won't be safe. Someone may be tempted to grab something and sell it for beer money or something. Plus you probably won't have room for it or want to lug it back and forth. For storage at your parents I would get some garment bags that completely zip up and maybe put some cedar pieces in it like another member suggested.