Help please, Vietnam Civil Actions Award..?

digi-shots

I'm confused here and hope I can get some help.

I'm looking for the correct ribbon/medal for this NAVY Award Description awarded to a Senior Chief:

Republic of Vietnam Meritorious Unit Citation (Civil Actions Medal, First Class Color With Palm)

In reading up on this, I see where it wasn't issued as a "medal", but "ribbon" only? - however, the above description says

"Medal". I checked wikipedia and one of the online ribbon checker sites, but it's still not clear to me.

If it comes as a ribbon in a frame, I did find that the Navy uses the thin gold frame.

Here's something I found online that further confuses me...

The Navy and Marine Corps Awards Manual has the most specific regulations regarding this unit citation, which it erroneously calls the “Republic of Vietnam Meritorious Unit Citation” (Vietnam did not issue any unit awards under that name). It correctly describes the ribbon as “Civil Actions First Class” in describing the colors because it has the two thin stripes in the middle that are found on the individual First Class ribbon. But it also says it is issued with “Palm and Frame,” which not only disagrees with the 1967 pamphlet Military Orders, Decorations, and Medals of the Republic of Vietnam (published by the Vietnamese government) but also the description found in AR 600-8-22: “The award of the Civil Actions Unit Citation, First Class, is accompanied with oak leaf clusters.

Can someone help me figure this out and maybe show a photo of the proper ribbon (and medal if it pertains) ?

Thanks!

It depends on if he got the award as part of a ship or unit or received it as an individual.

The collective unit award of this is the gold-colored metal bordered ribbon.

If the recipient is awarded the decoration as an individual award, there is a medal and a ribbon with no metal border.

It depends on if he got the award as part of a ship or unit or received it as an individual.

The collective unit award of this is the gold-colored metal bordered ribbon.

If the recipient is awarded the decoration as an individual award, there is a medal and a ribbon with no metal border.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catalog/Heraldry.aspx?HeraldryId=15484&CategoryId=9399&grp=12&menu=Decorations%20and%20Medals&ps=24&p=0

Thanks for the comments and link to the photo!

I don't exactly know whether it was an individual or unit award... I was going by what was typed on his DD214 award sheet:

Republic of Vietnam Meritorious Unit Citation (Civil Actions Medal, First Class Color With Palm)

Thanks for the comments and link to the photo!

I don't exactly know whether it was an individual or unit award... I was going by what was typed on his DD214 award sheet:

Unit Citation indicates the ribbon only unit award. The one within the gold border. The Navy/USMC and USAF wear the shorter ribbon bar and the Army wears the longer one shown at the TIOH website.