max1337

Croix de Guerre Fourragere question

I was going through some of the awesome collections from forum members, and a question came up. What is the difference of the between the Croix de Guerre Fourragere below?

The one on the left have 2 additional loops going across the sleeve and the one on the right does not, why the difference?

Thanks in advance!

post-3422-1295647613.jpgpost-342-1251664447.jpg

For me the second one is an early model with simple buttonhole for epaulet button.

The second one is an evolation of the early model, with "clover" on the fixation. This an fancy taylor made model with two additional loops, also note the fancy "ferret".

"Semper in hostes" - 66th armored regiment - 2nd armored division

I know with WWII uniforms, the fancier ones with the trefoil knot and extra loops are the French versions. The second one you show is a US-made version. These were simplified a bit in order to be more practical.

I will pay top dollar for original WWII items pertaining to:

OSS

OSS Maritime Unit

NCDU

UDT

Scouts and Raiders

FSSF

Kadet is correct. Our troops started wearing these after the war and more specially widespread use occurred after arriving back to the states. Vets were mailed their rope with a small named card indicating their unit and that they were personally entitled. The second one is the one most familiar with this. Some refer to the first one as an "officer version" and may have been some kind of a private purchase upgrade. I have one of those on a grouping I purchased belonging to a Sergeant in the 5th Marines who dolled up his dress blues with an original patch, overseas stripes and one of these fancy ropes for wear at Marine functions in the 1920's. There are a number of varieties, many of them French made. There is even one with a very large trefoil knot near the top where it buttoned to the epaulette like the one depicted in the first post but without the fancy tip or langet. I think that style is French made. Kevin

I am eagerly collecting Pre-WWII USMC material. Any Marine Corps Span Am era, WWI, Banana Wars, or China Marine related material is especially sought after.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2019.gif

I'm not sure I could confidently describe any of the WW1 era fourrageres as "American made." I have had definitively French-made fourrageres with a horizon bleu tab that are identical to the ones issued to the AEF--with the exception of the olive drab tab on the end.

Regardless, there were three types of fourrageres authorized:

post-594-0-30420300-1509212758.png

767409605_sigcustom3.png.e95257302e2a500ba241cd8cdc44ff0c.png