New Knife...Its not all on ebay

doyler

Decided today to run to a shop I hit once a month or so when in the area.Was doing a quick sweep and not seeing much.Stepped into one of the vendor booths and saw a item in a case hanging on the peg board wall mixed in with jewelry and small pocelain souviener cups etc.

Looked to be a hand made old knife at first glance.Wood handle,lead rivits,leather scabbard and a bit rusty on the guard.Saw the price and thought would get the shop worker to open the case for a peek.

Thought the shape of the handle looked a bit familiar but kinda shrugged it off and was going to wait to get the shop worker after ai looked around.He ended up passing by and I asked if he could open the case.He went and got the key.Took it out and didn't even pull the knife all the way out and told him consider it sold so he took it to the front desk while I browsed around the shop.

THe price was $12 and I would have bought it as it initially appeared to be a WW2 era shop/garage made type knife...turned out it was.... :)

Wasn't expecting to find this but here it is.Not real pretty but its real and may clean up.

As I said its not all on ebay and some of the best things are the unexpected finds...................

You just have to look and have a bit of luck some days :blush:

To top it off the booth vendor had a %25 percent off sign hanging in the booth.When I went to check out the lady at the register said both items I found were part of the "Halloween" sale most vendors were offering.I said the item isnt over $20 and I understand the discounts are typically for $20 and over.She said no this was the specail for Halloween they were running.I didnt argue...as I was always told don't argue with a lady

post-342-0-50535600-1509163778_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-28549600-1509163819_thumb.jpg

$12 for an Ek Commando? Wow Ron, congrats on a sweet find. Yes, that will clean up wonderfully. What a beauty!

Yes sir....Thought I was in a episode of "The Twilight Zone" for a moment and was waiting to wake up.

First one I have ever owned or found out of the wood work.

Ended up hitting a gunshow and not finding a thing but after the 250 mile drive today in windy cold and snow flurries I'm satill a happy cat :D

$12 for an Ek Commando? Wow Ron, congrats on a sweet find. Yes, that will clean up wonderfully. What a beauty!

If only it could speak...I wanted to ask it "Where have you been all my life" :love::lol:

"Well Ron, I've been just chilling out with these Beanie Babies and NASCAR hats. Thank God you got here when you did."

If only it could speak...I wanted to ask it "Where have you been all my life" :love::lol:

$9 (plus tax) -- But who's counting? :)

Shoulda ran and gotten a lottery ticket after that, Ron. When you're hot you're hot.

"Well Ron, I've been just chilling out with these Beanie Babies and NASCAR hats. Thank God you got here when you did."

I just wonder if I walked by her several times and didn't notice :huh:

$9 (plus tax) -- But who's counting? :)

Shoulda ran and gotten a lottery ticket after that, Ron. When you're hot you're hot.

Probably more of a chance getting struck by lightening than winning the lotto...but the knife was enough for me today.Not sure I could handle much more excitement at my age.... :D

Went thru a pawn shop today myself. Did run across a 1978 Coleman military lantern missing several parts. For $24 it's still waiting there for a new owner. Great find Ron, you deserve it.

Charlie Flick

A wonderful find, Ron. Good for you. That is a good example of a collector being prepared with the knowledge and then making the effort to go out and search. You might have found that knife on Ebay while sitting on your couch, but not for $17. Your efforts were rewarded handsomely.

Regards,

Charlie

Unusual for It to have those small grip rivets IMO but Ek had a lack of consistency on theyre production methods . Nice knife in the correct sheath as already stated .

A wonderful find, Ron. Good for you. That is a good example of a collector being prepared with the knowledge and then making the effort to go out and search. You might have found that knife on Ebay while sitting on your couch, but not for $17. Your efforts were rewarded handsomely.

Regards,

Charlie

$9 (plus tax) The rest was for Beanie Babies somebody said :)

Thanks for all the comments.

Yes its numbered.I will post some other pictures and of the scabbard as well.

As I understand it the knives had serial numbers added beginning in 1943 or early 1944 and was company practice initiated at this time.Prior knives were only model numbered.

The knives first number is the model of the knife followed by the serial number.Knives were numbered sequentially 1-999.The 1,000th knife then started over at 1 proceeded by a letter of the Alphabet.This is according to the chapter in the Allied Military Fighting Knives book.

Since EK was very adamant that his knives only be sold to servicemen and registered by number it would be fun to see if this one could be traced if records survived.

The marking indicate a Model Number 7.The Model 6 was basically the same knife other than being a single edge knife and the Model 7 was a double edge

Mine is numbered with the 7 and C521.The serial number over stamped the model number slightly.

post-342-0-83279600-1509322517_thumb.jpg