MUCH LIKE M1912 FOR PEAKED CAP… BUT MORE LIKE FOR CAMPAIGN HAT?

INIMICUS

THIS OLD EGA IS AFFIXED - MAYBE INCORRECTLY? - TO A WWII OR MAYBE SLIGHTLY PREWAR H-H MADE OFFICER'S COVER.

ON DETAILS: VERY VERY SIMILAR TO ONES IN OTHER THREADS, KEVIN WARGUY'S IN PARTICULAR. NO MARKS AT ALL. BUT A DIFF. IN THE LEGS: IN THE SIMILARS THE SPLAY IS WIDER AND THERE'S NO OPEN SPACE BETWEEN 'EM. AS WELL, THE CONTINENTS LOOK LIKE THEY WERE SEPARATELY APPLIED ON THE GLOBE; VERSUS, SAY, MOLDED.

A PREVIOUSLY-UNKNOWN VARIATION, MAYHAPS?

ALSO, THIS RESEMBLES BIRDS I'VE SEEN HEREABOUTS ON CAMPAIGN COVERS. WERE EGAs WORN INTERCHANGEABLY ON OFFICER'S CAPS - EVEN THO CAMPAIGN COVER WAS FOR ENLISTED?

AND SEEMS VALUE FOR THESE IS PRETTY STEEP - LIKE $500-600. IS THAT IN THE BALLPARK? ANYHOW THANKS FOR LOOKING AND FOR ANY COMMENTS.

post-496-0-15063400-1509052374.jpg

post-496-0-44694200-1509052391.jpg

Campaign covers were for both Officer and Enlisted. This EGA is not that uncommon and turn up fairly often on the market. Nice bird, though I think your value is on the very high side. I would say this bird would be in the 300-350 range.

There were officers campaign covers.I have one.THey had the gold/red cords to designate officer.One officer told me they were a optional purchase during the war.I have never researched this.He was a pre WW2 officer.

The same ega worn on the standard visor/cover would be worn on a campaign cover.I have even seen one on a sun helmet to an officer.

Sorry meant to 200-250, not 300-350. Though a similiar one sold recently on ebay for much much less. The market can fluctuate wildly on some birds.

I cant comment on value but I can say that the values seem to have gone up as I recall there was a 30 day period on ebay where one individual was throwing out huge bids to win auctions a couple years ago.Then he just disappeared after a month or so.The trickle down effect was the prices were then attached to ega's due to completed auctions during that period.I know one dealer here who was having his own auctions bid up as he knew the deep pocket buyer was bidding to win.

Granted there are some very expensive and rare birds but I see prices attached to sets and pieces that are relatively common that still reflect the bidding war on ebay and the items at shows go unsold at this auction prices that were paid by one individual.

I agree with the above comments. Officers did have a campaign cover that is generally different from the EM's. In WWI, they were typically private purchase with a private label and a higher quality of felt, sometimes a slightly different color. I have one that is notably lighter in OD shade to the EM counterpart. My WWI example has a brim folded over and two rows of stitching much like the EM version of that same time frame. The Officers campaign hat changed slightly post WWI, with the folded brim eliminated, but still retained the two rows of stitching in the 1930's. I have one dated 1941 with the red and gold braid for an officer and a WWII bird. They essentially went away after that for the duration of the war, and were brought back for DI's and range masters. As has already been stated, your ega is an officers version. Kevin

thanks so much fellas.

is this in the gemsco style, or another maker's? also, is the EGA correct for a WWII officer cover? I recall something about these being worn over decades - I guess akin to granddad's WWII naval officer eagle being allowed, commander dependent, on his grand kids' modern navy cap.

Here is an officer's campaign hat from the 1930's and a picture of a Mounted Detachment patrol in Peiping. This is a page from my book China Horse Marine.

Dick

post-9487-0-19104400-1509116432_thumb.jpg

normaninvasion

To the OP. That's a very nice Officers service cover emblem, that would be correct for either the standard service cover or campaign cover. This is a standard variation that was worn WW1-1920s, as well as a lot of life well into 1930s. By some collectors this variation is considered a "Gemsco", but there were other makers. Pictures of the cover could help date everything, as H&H started in later 20s.

thanks much for the extra input, really gents. per 'mr. invasion,' here's the cover inside and out. can someone date it by logotype? visor looks a dark brown (cordovan?).

it belonged to a col. william j. burrows, usmcr fmf-pac, about whom I can find nothing. but his lawyer grandson swears at one and the same time that grandpa was jag, AND he was at guadalcanal and 'stormed the beaches' as a combat leader. (he also showed an m1922 blue uni w/someone else's name inside hmmm~ but alaspost-496-0-99091100-1509152572_thumb.jpgpost-496-0-99091100-1509152572_thumb.jpg the other officer was someone of little distinction, one of our kind, expert members advises.)

anyhow, can anyone help with col. burrows? like, maybe he was related to THE burrows - first usmc commandant wm. ward burrows?? I dont have access to the muster rolls or genealogy sites, and NARA tho easy for searching army people, isn't for marines. tho granted I'm a newbie w/marine research.

SORRY! GLITCH IN THE PIX-UPLOAD TOOL. stand by - will try again...

Values fluctuate because it seems like every six months or so, someone new enters the EGA hobby, bids huge sums on everything for a month or two, and then disappears. This leaves sellers thinking they struck gold, and you see the ridiculously priced 400-600 buck common WWII officer sets. By the time the dust settles, someone else enters and does the same thing. Conspiracy theorists probably think it's one guy, but it's been happening for several years, and I've learned over the years that some newbies with deep pockets lose interest quick in whatever field they enter. Several of these guys have bought or communicated with me only to drop off the globe.

If you want to know more about Burrows, ancestry.com will have a plethora of information pre-1958 in their Muster Rolls

VERY wise words, mr. mod., applying not only to US but to other fields. we can all think of a few… I'll join ancestry, and maybe the marine historical center has something as well. thanks again to you & others.