Training Center Guidons, two variations.

nirvana

I've got two of these now, different varieties. I am thinking they are from different eras, but I'm not sure. Both have the DPSC tags.

This first flag is dated 3/23/77. The yellow eagle in the blue canton is fully embroidered and appliqued.

xxx1.jpg
xxx2.jpg

Second is dated 9/11/86. The blue eagle in the yellow canton is printed on, so its easier to make. Assuming a later design.

xxx3.jpg

xxx4.jpg

It's possible only the Training Brigade HQ Company carried reverse color Guidons, but we do know that the Blue field type, that they are the same style for any post conducting Non Combat Arms Basic IE Ord, Wood, Dix, Jackson etc. Back in the 60s however it was of a slightly different design.

Google Image Search Page.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1366&bih=636&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=hkrxWY6eNcXNmQGAxaewCg&q=basic+training+vietnam+war&oq=basic+training+vietnam+war&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i24k1.74862.83820.0.84430.23.18.1.0.0.0.226.2425.0j12j2.14.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..8.14.2272...0j0i13k1j0i67k1.0.jkSpE7LbedU#imgrc=_

Your theory is an interesting one. I can't find another example of the yellow "HQ" flag, in either the manuals or online, so I'm at a total loss. The older style from the 60s, in the photos that you have shown, has a weird "tail" coming out of the canton and running towards the bottom hem of the flag. I lost an auction once for a version of this type, I think it was engineer? Regardless, I've only ever seen one on the market. Yea, I screwed that one up. Like the Tank Destroyed guidon I missed, and the Chemical Corp one, and.... Yea, regrets.

No idea, but neat flags!

Thank you. I dug through my crap last night and counted the collection...... I've got 62 now. :unsure:

Always looking for different or interesting ones, still trying to track down one from each service.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across this photo in another topic, and here we see that Reverse Guidon with Yellow field, Fort McClellan Alabama sometime in the early to mid--sh 70s (WAC disbanded in 1978), hmm was this color carried by WACS only??? Further Investigation will be needed.

post-1761-0-35742000-1440254173.jpgpost-34986-0-94958100-1509850818.jpg

1980fort_mcclelland-12_3rd_platoon_20150

Another photo, also at McClellan, 1980. This one looks to have crossed MP pistols. Hmm.

you are correct. that is an MP training company.

you are correct. that is an MP training company.

The WAC one has Athena, armored ones have the tank, MP has pistols. These are the traditional guidon emblems, so everything makes sense there. The only commonality that I am seeing is that these photos all date from the 70s and early 80s, and look to be at McClellan, although that last point may be flexible depending on more photos.

So are we thinking it's a design variation for a specific era, type of training? Officer v enlisted?