WW2 Footlocker

huntssurplus

Hello,

I bought this footlocker off of eBay and was told it could hold stuff but with the condition of the bottom I am a little worried, but that is for a different thread. I am look for any info on this footlocker I can get. Looks to have been shipped somewhere at some point as there is old paper that has worn away, there are other stencils in it that I am not sure about as well as weird markings.

Thanks for the help.

Hunt

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would guess this was an Army officers footlocker, which was embarked for shipment overseas. I think the colored stripes indicate the unit he was attached to. There was a recent thread on this, but I can't find it. I have never seen a foot locker with the cubic foot and weight stenciling like you see on military packing crates. Many times, you will see old markings painted over and new info (names, destinations, etc.) stenciled on. Interesting foot locker.

As far as the bottom, does the damage show up on the inside? Lots of times the outside of the bottom will be srapped up and look bad, but still be solid. If it is rotted thru, you might cut a thin piece of plywood to fit inside and lay on the old bottom.

I would guess this was an Army officers footlocker, which was embarked for shipment overseas. I think the colored stripes indicate the unit he was attached to. There was a recent thread on this, but I can't find it. I have never seen a foot locker with the cubic foot and weight stenciling like you see on military packing crates. Many times, you will see old markings painted over and new info (names, destinations, etc.) stenciled on. Interesting foot locker.

As far as the bottom, does the damage show up on the inside? Lots of times the outside of the bottom will be srapped up and look bad, but still be solid. If it is rotted thru, you might cut a thin piece of plywood to fit inside and lay on the old bottom.

The bottom I'm pretty sure is all the way through, It is loose and you can push on it. The plywood idea I will try.

Thanks for the help.

Hunt

The blue and yellow stripes look like a POM code, this website has the diffrent combinations with their coresponding units they represent. Usually theres a five digit number that goes with it. Yours may be 1st ID, (page 7 of the website)

https://www.med-dept.com/pom/index.php?currentpage=1&pagecount=25&sortorder=%60code%60%20ASC

Thanks for the help, yeah the 1st ID one looks about right.

Hunt