GOOD EATS AND MILITARIA

BEAST

Since many of us travel for work or fun, I thought I would start a thread where you can post restaurants that either have militaria as part of their decorations or have an interesting site related to military history nearby. Feel free to post a link to the restaurant and if you have a recommendation for food, feel free to post that too.

I'll start with a restaurant that I ate at last month near El Paso, Texas. Cattlemans Ranch is located in Faben, Texas and has excellent steak. Their website is: http://www.cattlemansranch.com/

However not only do they have great steak (and sautéed mushrooms) but they also have a 3" gun and limber on display.

post-203-0-19704400-1508867038_thumb.jpg

Beast,

Didn't know you were in my neighborhood, You could have stopped by and saw me at the NCO Museum at Fort Bliss... Hope you enjoyed Cattleman's.. It is one of our best kept secrets here in the El Paso area..

On another note, several popular movies were filmed out at Indian Cliffs Ranch, aka Cattleman's. Courage Under Fire, Transformers (Some parts) a few of the Chuck Norris movie scenes, and others (Extreme Prejudice with Nick Nolte) The movie set for Courage under Fire is across the street from the restaurant and you can take a hay ride to the area from Cattleman's. They still have some tanks and helicopters out there in the desert...

Leigh

Beast,

Didn't know you were in my neighborhood, You could have stopped by and saw me at the NCO Museum at Fort Bliss... Hope you enjoyed Cattleman's.. It is one of our best kept secrets here in the El Paso area..

On another note, several popular movies were filmed out at Indian Cliffs Ranch, aka Cattleman's. Courage Under Fire, Transformers (Some parts) a few of the Chuck Norris movie scenes, and others (Extreme Prejudice with Nick Nolte) The movie set for Courage under Fire is across the street from the restaurant and you can take a hay ride to the area from Cattleman's. They still have some tanks and helicopters out there in the desert...

Leigh

He Leigh, I wish I would have known you were down there, I would have stopped by to say hi and have a look at the museum.

Another good place to eat in El Paso is L and J Café. It specializes in Mexican food and was a favorite haunt of the cavalry troops at Fort Bliss. Supposedly, the troops had a mule that knew the way on its own and they would send it down with empty jugs and return with the jugs full of drink. http://www.landjcafe.com/

Their website identifies the cafe as "The old place by the Cemetery." The cemetery is the reason for this post. Concordia Cemetery is across the street from L and J's and within its gates is the Buffalo Soldier Monument. From the library of Congress website: "...Concordia Cemetery contains the remains of more than 60,000 people, including black "buffalo soldiers", Mormon pioneers, Texas rangers, and gunfighters, including John Wesley Hardin. El Paso, Texas"

post-203-0-54844800-1508946242_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Think you wouldn`t find this in Germany because of the anti-military attitude in my country.

Your correct, you probably wouldn't see anything so overt. However, I do remember when I lived in Bad Kissingen, you could still see the monuments to German WWI vets and IIRC, in Berlin, there were busts to Von Moltke. It would be interesting to have a "Jasta 11" restaurant as a counterpart to the 94th Aero Squadron restaurants that were here in the states!

Nothing in my area that I know of, but thanks for combining two of my favorite things! I guess if you are going to drool over good food, you may as well drool over militaria at the same time.

Mikie