Simple way to archival display paper items

avigo

Hi guys.

I have several things I'd like to display that are paper (photographs, posters, etc)

I don't really care about how it looks (as far as nice matting or frame etc) I just want it to be archival.

I have put prints in archival sleeves then put the sleeves in float frames (glass on both sides)

I like this look.

Is this a safe way to display?

If so, do you guys have recommendations for simple, 100% archival clear protectors?

Thanks! I appreciate any input

Matting can be an important part when archivally displaying. It keeps the face of the document off of the glass and prevents it from touching any humidity that may build inside the frame. It's also important you spend the money for an archival frame, they protect against UV light. While a sleeve inside a normal frame may seem like a cost effective way to protect and display, it offers zero protection against dangerous UV light. The frames aren't cheap, but it's the responsible thing to do if you really want to protect a rare piece.

Another choice is LED lighting... it is not a hard light and doesn't emit UV rays. I use LED light strips in my display cases.

I imagine that in a float frame, the archival sleeve would be visible and detract from the display. Acid Free matting is expensive when you buy it pre-cut, but a sheet of it can be purchased at Michael's Crafts that is about 2 ft x 3 ft. An exacto knife and you can churn out several matte borders. The cost per sheet is somewhere between 6-8 bucks, and worth every penny. It is appealing, prevents the document from touching the glass, and is good in even a non-archival frame, as long as you protect it from UV lighting.

vintageproductions

I use the pro choice plastic sleeves.

They run from baseball card size up to one sheet poster size.

Thanks!

I thought all glass had UV protection properties.

How do you tell if glass is UV safe?

If a document is in a protector, in a frame, is there still an issue with possible humidity? I hadn't heard of that. I know a lot of people store stuff in archival protectors (where the piece touches the pvc)

Also, if something is matted, doesn't part of the piece touch the matte? Is this an issue?

Thanks again!

Also, I guess my other question would basically be, what is a safe way to store things that can't be matted?

(I have a lot)

Most glass does not. Archival glass does, which is what makes it costly. Most glass is just cheap, clear, single pane.

The piece touching the matte isn't really the problem for a couple reasons. First, condensation forms on the glass, the matte keeps the piece off the glass. Second, it's usually only on the edge and on the odd chance something goes wrong then the damage is minimal.

Safe storage... acid free sleeves or the firmer card/photo holders (like you use to store baseball cards in as a kid), in a cardboard box with lid.

No matter how you display/store, you should make efforts to control the temperature and humidity, and this can be done with the thermostat, thermal blinds, a dehumidifier, etc. And when handling, it's best to do so in cotton gloves to keep the oils from skin off the paper

Where do you buy uv archival glass frames? I can't seem to find them anywhere

I don't care how it looks. Really just want to the cheapest method to store/display things safely

Thanks again!

I'm pretty sure Hobby Lobby sells Tru Vue museum glass. You may even be able to use the 40% off coupon.

Thanks!

Do they sell them as frames or just glass?

I'm not super familiar with building a frame. I'd be fine cutting my own mattes but not sure about the rest

You are correct actually. ALL glass offers UV protection, the question becomes what type, and how much.

I'm happy to be corrected by any scientists amongst us, but here is my understanding:

"UV" light from the sun is actually composed of both long and short wavelength forms. These are referred to as UVA and UVB respectively. "Normal" glass blocks essentially all short wavelength (UVB) UV light, whereas I've heard a pretty broad range in the percentage of UVA it blocks. From 25%+.

My recommendation would be to go to a custom framing store to get your questions answered. Even within the family of archival glass, there are options - with cost increasing correlative to % of UVA blocked. As was explained to me, no glass blocks 100% of UV light. So, irrespective of the glass, if exposed to sources of UVA light, eventually it will fade. That is why you need to consider placement of the artifact, amongst other conditions.

BTW - It is a misnomer that LED bulbs emit no UV light, because they do. It is very low levels, but so are incandescent bulbs. I would encourage folks to pursue their own facts on different bulb types, as some of them may surprise you.

Best of luck in your quest.

Thanks!

I thought all glass had UV protection properties.

How do you tell if glass is UV safe?

If a document is in a protector, in a frame, is there still an issue with possible humidity? I hadn't heard of that. I know a lot of people store stuff in archival protectors (where the piece touches the pvc)

Also, if something is matted, doesn't part of the piece touch the matte? Is this an issue?

Thanks again!

Also, I guess my other question would basically be, what is a safe way to store things that can't be matted?

(I have a lot)

Thanks!

Do they sell them as frames or just glass?

I'm not super familiar with building a frame. I'd be fine cutting my own mattes but not sure about the rest

I'm not really sure. I've had something done there with a custom mat and frame but I'm not sure how they sell the museum glass. Even if it's just the glass, they also sell pre-made frames. You could swap out the glass.

I buy them from art supply sites

Do you buy whole frames or just the glass?

If you buy whole archival frames could you please let me know where you buy?

Thanks