ARVN rucksacks used by us troops at the late VN conflict period

PASGT

Hello Guys, All we know, and most of the collectors always say that: " Oh ARVN rucksacks were used by US soldiers at Early war" But I finished watching PBS TV documental series "The Vietnam war" and there was 8th episode about the late war 1969-1970. Want to show you some unique footage that I captured from my TV while pause function. Here is the photo of the soldier wearing m69 flak vest with ARCN rick but another photo is very unique... all three soldiers in a line has ARVN rucks. This topic will be useful for collectors who want to make the late war display with ARVN rucks. I also added the photo of my ruck in mint shape.

Thanks for attention guys.

post-105005-0-05790000-1508697716_thumb.jpg

I think those troops are US Marines, mainly because they are wearing ERDL camo and two of the guys are wearing M55 flak vests. Marines liked using the ARVN ruck as it offered more carrying capacity compared to their 782 Haversack.

I think those troops are US Marines, mainly because they are wearing ERDL camo and two of the guys are wearing M55 flak vests. Marines liked using the ARVN ruck as it offered more carrying capacity compared to their 782 Haversack.

In the first photo near the river, maybe you are right, I also noticed ERDL. But in the second one, there were guys from an infantry unit.

In the first photo near the river, maybe you are right, I also noticed ERDL. But in the second one, there were guys from an infantry unit.

I think the second picture is also of marines, because it seems they are wearing flak vests (you can tell from the 2 closest guys on the far left) and it seems that the vests feature the sling slip protection featured on M55 vests (you can see it on the guy on the far right and you can kinda notice it on the first guy on the far left).

Just noticed an interesting thing, why guy in Erdl (if he is a marine) wears m69 vest? Marines M55 vest does not have cord string on the sides...

i don't know if you're aware of this, but the arvn rucksack shown, was also produced in a nylon version, similar material to the rucksack we used with the curved frame. i know this to be true, because i had one.

i don't know if you're aware of this, but the arvn rucksack shown, was also produced in a nylon version, similar material to the rucksack we used with the curved frame. i know this to be true, because i had one.

Yep, I saw a nylon version here on forum.

Just noticed an interesting thing, why guy in Erdl (if he is a marine) wears m69 vest? Marines M55 vest does not have cord string on the sides...

Not all Marines wore M55 vests, there are instances when Marines were issued M52A and later the 3/4 Collar Fragmentation Vests (commonly misnomered as the M69 as the M69 looks similar although with velcro closure rather than the zipper fastener that the 3/4 Collar vest has). A buddy of mine owns a M52A vest with a USMC Depot stamp, and I think there is even a picture or 2 of a Marine during the Battle of Hue wearing a 3/4 collar vest. Its just one of those "exceptions to policy" like soldiers wearing a Marine/Navy 8 point cover (without the EGA) or a 101st Airborne troop wearing an M55 vest at Camp Eagle ca. 1970.

post-116553-0-70334600-1508717159_thumb.jpg

Not all Marines wore M55 vests, there are instances when Marines were issued M52A and later the 3/4 Collar Fragmentation Vests (commonly misnomered as the M69 as the M69 looks similar although with velcro closure rather than the zipper fastener that the 3/4 Collar vest has). A buddy of mine owns a M52A vest with a USMC Depot stamp, and I think there is even a picture or 2 of a Marine during the Battle of Hue wearing a 3/4 collar vest. Its just one of those "exceptions to policy" like soldiers wearing a Marine/Navy 8 point cover (without the EGA) or a 101st Airborne troop wearing an M55 vest at Camp Eagle ca. 1970.

understood, thanks for the info.

Both screen captures apare to be Marines. The use of ARVN rucksacks was common for Marines. They can be seen in use with marines during operation jay in June 1966.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Yeah, marines can be seen with 3/4ths Collar vests occasionally, but it seems towards the end of the war the wear of 3/4ths collar vests or m69 vests became more common

• 1 month later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Nice photo, never seen that one before, here's a major from the 23rd ID wearing an M1955

post-153751-0-11030900-1511460135.jpg

Photos of Marines wearing army flak jackets are a lot more common than Soldiers wearing USMC flak jackets.

So did U.S. Army, regular infantry, troops use this type of ruck? Or just Marines?

I would be very surprised if there wasn't a few cases of it, everything imaginable happened in vietnam, I'll look for pics.

So did U.S. Army, regular infantry, troops use this type of ruck? Or just Marines?

They did, but very few. In the few photos I have seen it was typically just one soldier wearing one. But the Lightweight rucksack (standardized ca 1967) had a far superior carrying capacity made it more favorable to use than the smaller ARVN ruck. But the ARVN ruck is more favorable than the small buttbag. Here is a forum thread that includes some shots of the ARVN ruck in use with 1st Cav troops and I FFV, but I am sure there are other pictures of the rucks in use out there. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/191956-vietnam-war-1966-oct-pleiku-1st-cav-div-impression/?p=1488739

• 6 months later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Nice photo, never seen that one before, here's a major from the 23rd ID wearing an M1955

attachicon.gifUSArmyM1955_1.jpg

Photos of Marines wearing army flak jackets are a lot more common than Soldiers wearing USMC flak jackets.

I would be very surprised if there wasn't a few cases of it, everything imaginable happened in vietnam, I'll look for pics.

from the same time as the photo, post-153751-0-95874000-1529560478_thumb.jpg

same man as the photo

post-153751-0-52435700-1529560498_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...