WWI Winged Torch Badge

cthomas

To be honest, I don't think that is a wing. I think it may be a small ribbon or bow pinned on his uniform. Of course, no way to tell for sure, but that is my gut feeling.

Patrick

I think the fact that the part that appears wing like is not facing in the direction of the standard half wing so this fact supports the point that this does not appear to be a wing.

John

Where is the picture? Dan

Dan-

Did you find it? Just click on "Aviation Wing?" and that'll take you directly to the post with the image.

As for what it is, I believe it to be a winged torch or at least the right portion of it is an upright flaming torch. I really can't say for sure if that's a wing attached to the torch or if it's attached at all. It sure does look so when I peek at it under a high-power loop. If it were a 'wing', it appears to be of British design. Take a look at a set of embroidered RFC wings. Imagine taking one of those wings & attaching it to a torch. That's the best way for me to describe what I see. I don't think it's anything else other than a badge or pin. I guess it will remain a mystery because of the image angle. Darn....

It is a duel wing with prop 'pin' stamped out of brass. It was not an issued item or approved. Rather, it was a private purchase made by the man in the picture or it was provided by the portrait studio to enhance the appearance of his uniform. Since the Air Service was a branch of the Signal Corps at the time a good guess would be he was an airplane mechanic and if ever caught wearing that pin while on base he would probably have received a severe scolding and ordered to remove it immediately.

If you have access to the book "French Military Aeronautical Branch Badges up to 1918" there is a picture of the pin on page 329, number 5.

-cp

It is a duel wing with prop 'pin' stamped out of brass. It was not an issued item or approved. Rather, it was a private purchase made by the man in the picture or it was provided by the portrait studio to enhance the appearance of his uniform. Since the Air Service was a branch of the Signal Corps at the time a good guess would be he was an airplane mechanic and if ever caught wearing that pin while on base he would probably have received a severe scolding and ordered to remove it immediately.

If you have access to the book "French Military Aeronautical Branch Badges up to 1918" there is a picture of the pin on page 329, number 5.

-cp

Thank you 'CP' for this information. I didn't think it was an issued piece, more like the unauthorized one you mention.

I do not have that book. It sounds very interesting & likely to be a great reference for the future. Do you happen to have a scan of the badge in question? In the mean time, I'll see if I can find it on the net. Thanks for the lead!

-Chuck