Finally got an original M41 field jacket

M1Thompsonlover

M1Thompsonlover

I have been collecting WWII military items for over 25 years and never had an original 41 field jacket in my collection. Recently, I found a nice one on eBay and snatched it up. Its a large size (42) and in excellent shape with great color, minor staining and original patches. It is Id'd to a soldier named Feagan. The eBay seller was out of Michigan so I contacted him to see what area the estate sale was in. He told me it was Sterling Heights. I searched the Army records and found two Feagans in Michigan so he may be one of them. I couldn't find any obituary records of either men so I hit a dead end. The seller had the jacket listed for $250 or best offer with free shipping. I offered $200 and he accepted. I very pleased to have it in my collection!

post-166548-0-04418500-1508633271_thumb.jpg

post-166548-0-30400100-1508633334_thumb.jpg

M1Thompsonlover

Thanks for the nice comments guys! I know its tough to find a 41 in the larger sizes. There are plenty around in the common size 36. The spec tag in the pocket is still readable and dated December 11, 1942. I tried posting a pic of it but the file was too large. As you can see in the photos, its pretty wrinkled and was considering having it dry cleaned or just ironing it but I am concerned about damaging the 75 year old fabric. I searched the forum about cleaning it and the general consensus was that it is OK to do so but I may just leave it as it is.

Nice jacket and the larger sizes are hard to find. I've heard (and seen) too many HORROR STORIES about taking pieces to the dry cleaners.

My advice would be to leave it as found.

M1Thompsonlover

Good advice ... I'm going to leave it as is. My wife has a small steamer which I tried out and all it did was make the jacket wet so I stopped.

You can try using a steam iron on the cotton setting. Place a thin cotton towel or clean rag bewteen the iron and the jacket to protect the cloth from direct heat. This has worked for me in the past