Aircraft Window. From what plane?

USdog

Does anyone have any ideas on what this is from. My brother got it from an antique shop and was told it was off a B-17 at a salvage yard.

But I doubt it was from a B-17. Bought the item not the story. Anyone have any ideas? I tried looking for a WWII aircraft with that type of window but couldn’t find anything. So could be from anything at this point I guess.

It’s about two feet long. Can’t get exact measurements until later.

Thanks

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first looked at it the first thought that popped into my mind was that it might be part of a bomber nose, but I haven't found anything like it yet. It certainly does look like it should've come off a plane though.

The only ones I could think of it being a similar size to would be the pilots front glass and the tail gunners top glass but I think the shape is off for those

Look very closely for part numbers, possibly ink stamped somewhere on the piece.

Those numbers can be decoded to determine what Aircraft it is from

Tom Bowers

from the trapezoid design, I am thinking a center main windscreen or a singular stand alone...not much help...

guys liked to take the bad ones from the C-5 s and make tables out of them....I gave many away after changing therm...but never once saw anyone make a table...

Unfortunately there are no markings according to him. If we assume it’s a wwii US aircraft, that should narrow the search down a bit correct?

here is a P40 windscreen insert...could be an insert versus a window? seems like a lot of screw holes for an insert...unless the insert was framed

post-155518-0-45873500-1508524108.jpg

With all of those screw holes, and the thickness of the material, I would have to say it's probably not WWII

The perspex on most WWII aircraft that I've examined are maybe 1/2" thick at most.

Window material of pressurized aircraft in the 1950s and beyond are much thicker like the one illustrated

Again, without a part number it will be a lucky guess to find it

Tom Bowers

With all of those screw holes, and the thickness of the material, I would have to say it's probably not WWII

The amount of screw holes should not be used to determine the age of the piece. The bombardier's nose piece of our B-25 has this many screw holes.

You can see the original pieces in this picture.

Nose.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

How thick is it? Is it armored glass? It looks like an F-100 windscreen.

I don't think it's that. The F-100 windscreen comes to more of a point on top.

Randy