Officers and the CBM

QED4

Can an officer receive a Combat Medic Badge other than for prior enlisted service as a medic? Logic would say no sense medics are not officers but I have not see the regulations, are officers actually precluded from receiving it or is it possible and under what conditions?

VolunteerArmoury

Yes. Doesnt even need to be while in the Army. Can also be awarded to an AF, USN, CG, etc medical personnel provided they meet the criteria. I understand PHS folks can be awarded them as well. This site wouldnt allow me to copy the entire text onto here but I was able to copy what I believe answers your questions. Ive met a couple of Medical Service folks along the way who worked in logistics but still provided aid & was awarded CMBs. One was a NCO I met while at Ft. Gillem who was awarded one for working Log at an Aid Station

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2008-title32-vol3/xml/CFR-2008-title32-vol3-sec578-70.xml

(a) Eligibility requirements. (1) The Combat Medical Badge (CMB) may be awarded to members of the Army Medical Department (colonels and below), the Naval Medical Department (captains and below), the Air Force Medical Service (colonels and below), assigned or attached by appropriate orders to an infantry unit of brigade, regimental, or smaller size, or to a medical unit of company or smaller size, organic to an infantry unit of brigade or smaller size, during any period the infantry unit is engaged in actual ground combat on or after December 6, 1941. Battle participation credit alone is not sufficient; the infantry unit must have been in contact with the enemy.

Thanks, I guess that settles it anyone Colonel and below. I was really surprised to see, if I am reading it right, that until 2001 you had to be assigned to an Infantry unit to get one.

VolunteerArmoury

Thats how I read it. They just must be part of a ground combat units brigade sized or lower.

I dont really understand this paragraph since I understood SF medics were awarded CMBs prior to 89 such as VN, Grenada, Panama which SF meds are now awarded CIBs. That about SF medics getting CIBs also makes me wonder about the ArNG SF units that sent personnel over that hadnt been to Q course yet but still performed in their DMOS if they would be awarded a CIB or CMB. I would suspect CMBs.

Effective December 19, 1989, Special Forces personnel possessing military occupational specialty 18D (Special Operations Medical Sergeant) who satisfactorily performed medical duties while assigned or attached to a Special Forces unit during any period the unit is engaged in actual ground combat, provided they are personally present and under fire. Retroactive awards under these criteria are not authorized prior to December 19, 1989.