Lights Affect on Helmets and Other Militaria

huntssurplus

Hello,

I am wondering about how light from a light bulb from something like a ceiling fan or desk lamp affects Helmets and other militaria. I have a light where I display my militaria that I forget to turn off more often then not and I am wondering if I am hurting my gear because of my lazy and forgetfullness.

Do I have something to worry about, or am I just paranoid.

Thanks

Hunt

From what I have read, incandescent is not as damaging as fluorescent. I had seen lots of LEDs in museums so I wonder if that is fine. Great question.

Dave

Hunt,

A very good question. You are not being paranoid, you are thinking about necessary precautions that should be taken to preserve artifacts..

Light is always dangerous on materials, and it depends on what material is being exposed. Fluorescent light on fabrics and paintings for example can do irreversible damage. it is very similar to having something sitting on a windowsill and having the object exposed to direct sunlight. We are in the process of replacing a lot of the old fluorescent bulbs in the museum with LED lighting and where the fluorescent bulbs can't be replaced at this time, we have UV filters on the bulbs themselves to help filter the lighting a little. The further away from the artifact the less the light will have an effect on the artifact in the short term. A ceiling fan light should not have too much adverse affect on an item, but a desk lamp for example sitting right next to the artifact and being on constantly can quicken the fading process. Web gear that was dyed for example when exposed to light after a long period of time will show more fading as the dye break down. We actually use devices in the museum to measure candle lumen power of light bulbs and we have requirements to have filters on lights and other measures to ensure that not too much light is on an artifact. Before I came to the museum I am currently a curator at there was an original Don Stivers painting that was baked by the exposure to fluorescent lighting in the exhibit. It had faded the ink in the oil painting beyond something that could be replaced or preserved. The damage already done to the painting but we replaced the lighting with LEDs..

A good question and by taking a few precautions that will not cost you an arm or a leg, LED bulbs, filters, etc. which can be purchased fairly cheaply now, you can ensure the longevity of your artifacts..

Leigh

Hunt,

A very good question. You are not being paranoid, you are thinking about necessary precautions that should be taken to preserve artifacts..

Light is always dangerous on materials, and it depends on what material is being exposed. Fluorescent light on fabrics and paintings for example can do irreversible damage. it is very similar to having something sitting on a windowsill and having the object exposed to direct sunlight. We are in the process of replacing a lot of the old fluorescent bulbs in the museum with LED lighting and where the fluorescent bulbs can't be replaced at this time, we have UV filters on the bulbs themselves to help filter the lighting a little. The further away from the artifact the less the light will have an effect on the artifact in the short term. A ceiling fan light should not have too much adverse affect on an item, but a desk lamp for example sitting right next to the artifact and being on constantly can quicken the fading process. Web gear that was dyed for example when exposed to light after a long period of time will show more fading as the dye break down. We actually use devices in the museum to measure candle lumen power of light bulbs and we have requirements to have filters on lights and other measures to ensure that not too much light is on an artifact. Before I came to the museum I am currently a curator at there was an original Don Stivers painting that was baked by the exposure to fluorescent lighting in the exhibit. It had faded the ink in the oil painting beyond something that could be replaced or preserved. The damage already done to the painting but we replaced the lighting with LEDs..

A good question and by taking a few precautions that will not cost you an arm or a leg, LED bulbs, filters, etc. which can be purchased fairly cheaply now, you can ensure the longevity of your artifacts..

Leigh

Thanks for the response! Seems like I should double check to make sure my lights are off when I am not in the room. And maybe look into investing in some LED's

Hunt

Seems like I should double check to make sure my lights are off when I am not in the room. And maybe look into investing in some LED's

Hunt

If you have a wall-mounted swtich, you can easily replace it with a timer switch - or a motion detector switch.

Patchcollector

Great info,thanks.I had always known about the damaging effect of sunlight,but had never given lamplight much thought.
Since the LED light bulbs have come down so much in price I've been replacing my light bulbs and am about 80% done with switching them out.

If you have a wall-mounted swtich, you can easily replace it with a timer switch - or a motion detector switch.

I'll look into it.

Thanks

Hunt

Chickenpuffball

Hello,

I am wondering about how light from a light bulb from something like a ceiling fan or desk lamp affects Helmets and other militaria. I have a light where I display my militaria that I forget to turn off more often then not and I am wondering if I am hurting my gear because of my lazy and forgetfullness. 

Do I have something to worry about, or am I just paranoid.

Thanks

Hunt

Don't think light will do anything to paint on helmets.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Natural sunlight and the UV rays from it are the absolute worst. Keeping the window shades closed is the best protection you can do for your collection.

Natural sunlight and the UV rays from it are the absolute worst. Keeping the window shades closed is the best protection you can do for your collection.

I recenty bought window shades so now very little if any natural light is reaching my collection. Hopefully it should help preserve it for many more years to come.

Hunt