Knife ID?

Blair217

The reason I was curious about this knife was because there was also one of this. OSS drop knife -

post-5260-0-14199600-1508350309_thumb.jpg

The knife I originally posted looks a little too well made to be a theater knife, especially the sheath.

Do you mean the 2 knives were obtained together? I'd also have to go with soldier/sailor/theater made knife for the 1st knife shown. I like it but I'm a sucker for theater made knives

I agree the first knife is hand made.Could have been by a soldier or by someone in a garage and given to a service member./There are varying levels of skill seen in knife making. We had several here in the area that made knives out of files,saw blades,Model A and Model T frames and springs.

​Often to call these knives theatre made is misleading.Some were made "in theatre",on boats or base shops.Many were not or some even made post war as there were magazines like Popular Mechanics that would have articles on "how to" do projects.When I was a kid my parents bought an acreage.Huge house built in 1920.THe basement was full of paper.Lots of magazines.Most were Popular Science and Popular Mechanics etc fro the 1930s,40s,50s 60s.I saw several articles on knive making.Kinda wish we would have kept the magazines but most were in bad shape and we spent the summer helping dad empty the basement and burning stuff.THe attic and 5 bedrooms were full too.Lots of treasure there.

I agree the first knife is hand made.Could have been by a soldier or by someone in a garage and given to a service member./There are varying levels of skill seen in knife making. We had several here in the area that made knives out of files,saw blades,Model A and Model T frames and springs.

​Often to call these knives theatre made is misleading.Some were made "in theatre",on boats or base shops.Many were not or some even made post war as there were magazines like Popular Mechanics that would have articles on "how to" do projects.When I was a kid my parents bought an acreage.Huge house built in 1920.THe basement was full of paper.Lots of magazines.Most were Popular Science and Popular Mechanics etc fro the 1930s,40s,50s 60s.I saw several articles on knive making.Kinda wish we would have kept the magazines but most were in bad shape and we spent the summer helping dad empty the basement and burning stuff.THe attic and 5 bedrooms were full too.Lots of treasure there.

I agree, many knives being sold as theater knives aren't. Many are post war knives made as projects from magazine articles, home shops, high school shop projects.

Do you mean the 2 knives were obtained together? I'd also have to go with soldier/sailor/theater made knife for the 1st knife shown. I like it but I'm a sucker for theater made knives

The two knives were from the same collection a buddy purchased them from with some other WW2 U.S. military knives and bayonets including a very nice M1880 Rifleman's Knife w/sheath.

Here are some of the other knives the fellow purchased. Far left a cut down M1860 cavalry saber fighting knife,3rd from left a Case "Pig Sticker".2nd from right a re handled Sykes Farbairn,3rd from right a Case XX V44.

post-5260-0-05081700-1508531709_thumb.jpg

Nice group. I'd love to learn a little more about the knife 4th from the left.

The blade is marked George Butler & Co Sheffield with the ART in a circle trademark. I don't have anything to work off of but the pictures the fellow sent me by electronic mail. I suspect that is a table carving knife with a re-profiled blade. Butler made Bowie type knives but I never found picture of one with other than stag slab grips not to say they didn't also make cutlery handled pieces.

Here's an English one I picked up awhile back. Made between 1896 and about 1926. Big old sticker blades like 1 1/2inches wide blade 10 inches.

post-5260-0-83644500-1508543897_thumb.jpg

The Commando knife may be a WW2 era private purchase.Some had handles as this.Many were made by various Sheffield makers.

I'm leaning towards possible a possible private purchase type knife also maybe British made. There was also a Robbins Dudley push dagger but I don't think he bought it.post-5260-0-69462100-1508544436.jpg