USMC Shoulder Board 1892 / Epaulette?

JLGermany

Dear Forum members,

Amongst other items I found when cleaning up the attic of the house of a former officer of the German Navy during WW2 was a single shoulder board that seems to be part of the USMC uniform worn beginning 1892. Since I have no knowledge of the US Marines uniforms, I would like to ask whether anybody can give me a bit more background on what this specific shoulder board actually is.

Thanks and best regards from Germany.

post-172322-0-90853500-1508013446_thumb.jpg

post-172322-0-02073400-1508013460_thumb.jpg

Part of the dress uniform worn by enlisted personnel in the Spanish American War. One on each shoulder. Went away around the first of the century. No idea why this would have been with WWII German Navy memorabilia. These sell for about $150 each as singles, and can command $350-400 for a matching pair with opposing ega's. I believe there were a lot of these as surplus sold by Bannermans in the earlier part of the twentieth century. Hope that helps. Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. No clue why the shoulder board was with the former officer that served in WWII. Since I am not collecting USMC items, I will put it up for sale on eBay. Thanks again for your help. Regards,Jochen