Preserving a Damaged Photo

SDC

My father's WWII company picture (F Company, 2nd Battalion, 87th Regiment, 10th Mountain Division) was damaged in a house fire many years ago and I just recently ran across it. It's that standard (approx.) 2' by 1' picture. It was framed at the time and now the edges are singed and ragged, and it has what I assume is some heat or smoke damage in a few areas. The rest is still in okay shape possibly helped by the glass. Before I reframe this is there anything I should do to prevent any future deterioration? Thank you

My father's WWII company picture (F Company, 2nd Battalion, 87th Regiment, 10th Mountain Division) was damaged in a house fire many years ago and I just recently ran across it. It's that standard (approx.) 2' by 1' picture. It was framed at the time and now the edges are singed and ragged, and it has what I assume is some heat or smoke damage in a few areas. The rest is still in okay shape possibly helped by the glass. Before I reframe this is there anything I should do to prevent any future deterioration? Thank you

Probably not.

Actual restoration (vs preservation) is likely impossible.

After making sure burnt parts (if any) are taken away, the photo should be safe to reframe. A mat would be nice... if possible?

Do not expose to any sunlight, of course.

Do a google search for Pec-12 Emulsion Cleaner which will clean off any smoke and other residue on the photo's surface.

You could just clean it and reframe the original because honestly if the fire was several years ago, any accelerated aging because of the heat should have already occurred. Black and white photos have amazing stability. I recently uncovered boxes fill of photos from wife's family, dating back to the 1870's and many of them look like they were printed yesterday (well actually not, because they have a much higher quality than most anything you see today).

You could also try to find a place that can do a high resolution (200 to 300 dpi) scan of something that size and save the digital file and make an inkjet print for display. Then take the original and store it in an archival sleeve (it may take two for something that size. You might even be able to place it behind the digital copy in the frame and keep them together that way. I'd then type of a little note explaining what the photo is, what happened and that the original is stored behind the copy. Tape that to the back of the frame so future generations know what's there.