1st attempt at LRRP

LAYGO

I was browsing USMF researching my Father's uniform items (see sig) when someone linked Vietnam Airsoft. That was it, that sent me over the edge. In just 6 weeks, I put this together:

081103-webgear01-lg.jpg

(1) G&P XM177E1 (airsoft)

(2) first aid pouches w/bandages

(2) canteen covers w/canteens

(3) small arms pouches

(1) .45 mag pouch

(1) M16A1 small arms pouch (fits the 20rnd mags)

(1) L vertical weave belt

(1) L suspenders

(1) M61 buttpack

(1) M17 mask carrier

(1) SDU-5 distress signal marker w/pouch

(1) claymore bag

(1) bandoleer

(13) 20rnd style mags (airsoft)

(2) MKII grenades (not shown)

I've got more not displayed, but coming soon:

WE 1911

M3 shoulder holster

Me wearing most of the gear, except for the M17/.45 mag pouch. '80s era repro tiger stripes from Tiger Stripes Products from Omahas & repro boots (USGI boots soon):

081102-dfwap03-front-lg.jpg

081102-dfwap04-left-lg.jpg

081102-dfwap05-right-lg.jpg

Hi

Thats it you have gone mad and been bitten by the bug .

Get some help now before it takes over your life and the rest will be history .

All the best

owen

Hi

All the best

owen

Basically, this is something I've wanted to do ALL MY LIFE, just never knew about it (playing "war"/"army", but safely). Since my Father's passing, I've been reading a lot more on Vietnam & to the level some people have been going. My effort seems trivial in some respects. I always wanted to know what my Father went through & now I have a chance to experience if only a minute fraction of what he went through.

Ya, I got my ARVN ruck, just not pictured. I never had it when I was taking pictures. Every single time I've gotten ready to take pix, it was rushed. I had to literally throw the canteens covers on right before the pix above. Last night I adjusted everything to where I wanted it, and the pix of the gear on the floor are the result.

Can't wait for my pistol/holster though! Pistol tomorrow. Holster soon enough. Only thing I feel I'm really missing is a knife. Bayonet or survival knife is in the future. Just waiting on the right deal. I, unfortunately, added up what I spent on all this. *FAINTS*

Hi

All the best

owen

Oh Owen,

How true those words are....... :rolleyes:

Leigh

I recommend shaving off your beard, most LRRPs might have some facial hair from being in the field, but they rarely grew full beards

and use face camo

I recommend shaving off your beard, most LRRPs might have some facial hair from being in the field, but they rarely grew full beards

and use face camo

Heh, I've been getting dinged on the beard. If I shaved it off, my family would walk right by me. ;)

I'm not sure I can go sans-facial hair, so my plan is for an event:

- trim the chinny chin chin

- don't shave for a week for that been in the field too damn long look

It'll help it blend a lil more. As for face paint, I gotta get some & then I'll take some more pix, with my ruck included too. By then also, I'll have my holster, pistol arrived today.

Pistol wasnt usually issued for Lurps as you may know. If they would get chance to have one or steal one they would do it of course : ). I would try to get more canteens if I were you and more ammo puches/bandoleers. Typical and necessarity for LRRP would be Camillus Air Survival knife made in 60s, but ive seen pictures of M7 bayonet taped on suspenders too. Marines used Ka-bar wich was issue for Recon, but sometimes LRRP's did trade something for kabar between him and REMF.

- Grinch from Vietnamairsoft.com

• 2 months later...
Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Lots of canteens including the bladders.

Lose the facial hair except for the stache. Bugs crawl in the beard and it holds bacteria. Vietnam had higher hair cut standards than WWII and Korea.

Keep the protective mask- LRRP's carried them because they used a lot of CS Gas and Powder in their booby traps and explosives. They masked up during ambushes.

Most of them carried a primary and secondary weapon and a pistol and one solid knife. Most carried about 40 magazines and extra ammo. Extra grenades, smoke, cs and explosives. Everything was packed identically to SOP.

Rock

Found a early pic of my LRRP/Ranger load, you may be interested in....

lurpload2-1.jpg

Some items are post war and/or repro which have been replaced......