Randall, Model #2-7, Vietnam

digi-shots

A month or so ago, I had posted questions here regarding a Randall. A friend of mine introduced me to the original owner and I was able to purchase the knife directly from him.

It's the first Randall I've owned and feel very fortunate that I had the opportunity to sit down and talk to the original owner. I took a few pictures of him with the knife and also had him sign the back of the sheath. He was a member of SEAL Team One - serving two tours in the Mekong Delta of Vietnam and retired after 32 years in the Navy.

I had the knife out today for a couple of "portrait shots"... here's one I like..

Thanks for looking!

post-4361-0-22880300-1507921909_thumb.jpg

Wonderful that you got the history direct from the Veteran along with the item. Those are the most cherished additions to any collection.

Nice knife, but I have a question if you'd indulge me. Is this simply a knife that belonged to the veteran, or one he supposedly carried? Looks to be in incredible shape, especially the sheath. Not what I would expect for a mission / field-carried knife.

Thanks for the comments!

I don't know if he carried it during both tours or not... their tours were a 6 month duration, not 12 months. We did go through a batch of photos looking for one with him and the knife but didn't find one. He told me he got it before deploying and took it with him. I'm still in contact with him and will try to flesh out more of its history.

I too question the condition of the knife... normally you'd expect to see more discoloration in the leather, rust, etc.due to the climate of Vietnam. My guess is that he didn't carry it out to the field much.

Here's a photo of the stone - grey with yellow lettering. I told him I was planning on putting the knife in a shadow box and wondered if he had any small items to go with it... in the photo of the stone are a couple of items he gave me.

post-4361-0-93636300-1507981983_thumb.jpg