Data Plate

ram957

I just saw this item and I'm looking to see if anyone has any insight into it. It appears to be a period correct item but I'm pretty sure it's not an aircraft acceptance data plate. Were these plates used on any other equipment that was used in the USAAC ?

post-13070-0-60552500-1507899765.jpeg

Pretty sure you would see this style tag on most equipment item, large enough to support this style data plate in the USAAF,,

Type, order number, and date are missing...and the aluminum looks new...too clean to have been removed from a 70 year old piece of equipment..

Just my opinion

• 3 months later...

Never say never. I have been to many crash sites and condition of a tag depends on when it was removed. The style of the stamped numbers look correct. While one could fake the damage from the data plate being pulled of off the part your damage is looks like with what mine look like after I pull the tag off. The rivets used to mount the tag leave that kind of damage. Run the numbers on Bauger's list. Your tail number is 43-59541. I bought a tag like this with a few more stamps that came back to a P-40 that was salvaged after a mishap. These type data tags were all over the aircraft. Every major part ie wings, tail, rudders etc. had a a tag on it denoting that part was for that aircraft. I have found data tags with tons of stamps on them and data tags like your with the basic minimal stamps. No rime or reason, Some have government stamps others don't.

This is my P-40 data tag. I notice your tag is missing the section marked "type" I'm not sure if this is an issue or not. I will have to look into it.

post-169522-0-64188300-1516256346.jpg

agree never say never...having seen yours...I think the OP serial number is fictitious also

IMO this tag looks to be new manufacture...any part that could handle this size data tag should/ would have the type stamped in too...cool tag but ....and I could be wrong...now your tag is totally cool...

A mute point unless we knew where the tag came from...

BTW your tag is R-1830-92...a radial engine....in a P-40???

agree never say never...having seen yours...I think the OP serial number is fictitious also

IMO this tag looks to be new manufacture...any part that could handle this size data tag should/ would have the type stamped in too...cool tag but ....and I could be wrong...now your tag is totally cool...

A mute point unless we knew where the tag came from...

BTW your tag is R-1830-92...a radial engine....in a P-40???

Nope, right side of aircraft with part or section number. WW2 data tags in general do not always have all the info stamped on them. Even the modification tags are shy on information. After taking a hard look I gotta side with the tag in the post as not being a good one. Engine data tags look like this.

post-169522-0-59645000-1516323304_thumb.jpg

USAF Serial Number Search Results

Serial Number Criteria: 42-10964
Description Criteria:
Data last updated: Tue Mar 15 09:25:04 2016
42-10960 ... 42-11129 (EXACT MATCH)
Curtiss P-40L-20-CU Warhawk
Model 87-B3
10964, 10974, 10983, 10991, 10992, 11010, 11026, 11037,
11039, 11053, 11055, 11058, 11069, 11064, 11065, 11068/11070,
11075, 11076, 11078, 11080, 11083, 11085, 11090/11092,
11105, 11109, 11110, 11112/11116, 11120 converted

• quote_but.png
  • multiquote_but.png
  • editpost_but.png

I saw this for sale a while ago and it set off red flares for me. I know what its not but I was wondering if anyone ever saw something like this before

I saw this for sale a while ago and it set off red flares for me. I know what its not but I was wondering if anyone ever saw something like this before

I know when guys do restorations on WW2 Aircraft they use repop data plates to replace missing or damaged data plates and stamp in the numbers. I don't think this is one of those, it looks more like this was intended to mislead. I have no idea what the wording was in the listing, but most of the e-bay listings for retro data plates make it clear they are new made. I have seen aviation art with data plates and a part of that type aircraft framed with the art. Even those guys are clear about what they are selling. That being said it could also be someone bought this in good faith thinking it was the real deal when they offered it up for sale.

R-1830-92 is not a part number...this tag is off a R-1830-92 or sub component of the type R-1830-92 radial engine...and the sn is the sn of tne part...not the tail number...IMO the search of the serial number matching a P-40 tail number is a coincedance..

The prefix for the P-40 part number family is 81 or 87 depending on model

And agree the OP tag is modern repop

R-1830-92 is not a part number...this tag is off a R-1830-92 or sub component of the type R-1830-92 radial engine...and the sn is the sn of tne part...not the tail number...IMO the search of the serial number matching a P-40 tail number is a coincedance..

The prefix for the P-40 part number family is 81 or 87 depending on model

And agree the OP tag is modern repop

You are correct. I mistook the engine contract number for being the aircraft tail number. I just addressed my other posts with incorrect information and had a large slice of humble pie. Live and learn my friend...live and learn! ; p

I printed Fullers prefix and HT list to help in the identification of crash sites I go to. I should have checked against the list, but got complacent when I saw the number on Baugher's list.

59A..I tip my hat to your collection and hobby...I would have been excited about a P40 tag also...great collection...dig the F4U1/RG1 plate

Kinda started drooling on the B17F and G tags..then the Jenny tag...I was reading the FAID is actually a depot tag when the JNS were run through..Imagine the fabric removed, wood repaired, engine over haul...and flight controls rigged...

great tags guys