Desert Tiger Stripe Boonie, Modified

VMI88

I just picked up this interesting boonie hat made from desert tiger stripe camo. The material appears to be genuine Tiger Stripe Products or a very close copy, but the hat itself is unusual. It doesn't have any sign of a label or markings and the chinstrap is made of an unusual black cord with a slide fastener I've never seen. The foliage strap is made of the same material as the hat. I'd just write it off as a cheap copy except that the brim has been professionally cut down and the edge binding resewn with a different thread. Someone obviously went to a lot of effort to tailor it. Has anyone seen one like this?

post-265-0-65187400-1507768115_thumb.jpgpost-265-0-20988200-1507768141_thumb.jpgpost-265-0-43392900-1507768154_thumb.jpg

Yes, it's not the camouflage pattern I'm asking about but the construction of the hat itself. If the material isn't Tiger Stripe Products it's a very close copy, but the hat doesn't appear to be by TSP. I'm wondering if it's a theater-made example or just a commercial knock-off. The tailoring of the brim points to military use but I suppose it could also be from an airsofter. Unfortunately I don't have any provenance on it.

There are many instances where tailor made tiger stripe stuff was made in Afghanistan. It might have no provenance, but it is a cool hat nonetheless.

About TSP, they made fabrics and sold commercially, to companies like Tru Spec, who would make BDUs and accessories in this camo pattern.

I have seen desert tigers used in Iraq and Afghanistan that were not Tiger Stripe Product. Theater altered boonie hats (shortened brim, addition of velcro, Arabic writing, direct embroidered name, etc) were done quite often. Hope this helps.