Army to Revisit "Pinks and Greens?"

tredhed2

The bi-swing back was added to the old OD service coat to make it more compatible with field use (no separate combat uniform before WW2). It was eliminated later to save fabric and other, more practical clothing was adopted for field wear. The powers that be who made decisions on the new pinks and greens uniform seemed to have ignored or disregarded much of the historical background provided to them as well, as apparently, the actual period examples they were able to examine.

easterneagle87
2 hours ago, cavcon said:

It’s a shame that US soldiers look so unprofessional but it is a direct affect of the country’s leadership, or lack there of.   

I look at it as more of a lack of spit n polish. With the introduction of rumple and crumple uniforms lot of standards went out the window. Nothing is pressed, boots aren’t shined, they dumped everyone into the dress blues and now pinks and greens: soldiers today aren’t  held to the same standards we were 30 yrs and longer ago. Post Vietnam era was horrible with longer hair and god awful og-107s. Would you say the same of the country’s leaders of that time? 

OG-107 cotton sateen fatigues were ok. Nicely starched and pressed with highly polished black leather boots, they looked pretty good. That sound of "breaking starch" early in the morning is hard to forget.  Do you mean the wash and wear OG-507 fatigue uniform that came out around the mid 1970's?

easterneagle87
3 hours ago, atb said:

OG-107 cotton sateen fatigues were ok. Nicely starched and pressed with highly polished black leather boots, they looked pretty good. That sound of "breaking starch" early in the morning is hard to forget.  Do you mean the wash and wear OG-507 fatigue uniform that came out around the mid 1970's?

This is getting off topic, and yes, that's prob what I meant. It was more of a point of countering the comment about calling out our Country's Leadership. That is and was a separate comment that directed the discussion away from the subject of Pinks and Greens. We all value discussion and we all have valid opinions, but as the forum moderators often point out to us, let's keep the discussion to the subject matter. 

First impression is everything.

I think, regardless whether a person is knowledgeable of awards, the attached photo is how the average citizen thinks of the Army and should be considered once we get past the current iteration.

( Tailored. Silver insignia and buttons: subtle.  Just the right amount of ribbons: no Soviet general look here. And coordination right down to silver rim glasses )

Sharp.

Even the daisy would work [off line of course]: "been there, done that hope that we can avoid it in the future".

Screenshot_20230224-085745-963.png.19b447f3f10f534b4ecbefdbff19c59c.png

Jim T

On 2/22/2023 at 9:03 PM, seanmc1114 said:

These were taken at a funeral in my hometown this morning. The fit of the pinks and greens looks awful, and these guys are Rangers.

D9DCB7DB-4811-44F2-AD46-08F677125638.jpeg

DBD8E47F-39E7-4B54-8656-362B25EF87C5.jpeg

38BDC7D4-1AE8-4521-B60B-4E912F4C344F.jpeg

So why is one ranger wearing straight leg pants?

101103837Bravo

Couple of things to add. 

The new AGSU looks sharp. Just needs better tailoring. 

The uniform is accurate. It’s based off the uniform of General Marshall. The only difference is the bronze buttons. 

The belt is part of the uniform. Get over it. That’s why it’s so sharp looking. Gives it a military look. The 4 button coat design was dull and uninspiring. 

The Ike jacket is a waste of money. It looks like a potato sack with sleeves. We have a thing called a wind breaker. Completely unnecessary. 

No need to give officers a different colored jacket. Findings with the uniform board after WW2 found that enlisted Soldiers hated that the Officers had better looking uniforms. Created a bit of a split within the Army. That was fixed when the Army went with one design for the Green Class A’s. The officers would get black stripes down the trousers and around the sleeves. That would be the only real difference. 

The old Green class A’s were dull. They were basically a compromise uniform from the 1950’s. The mint green 1970’s shirt and polyester material finished that uniform off as the worst looking uniform in the Armed Forces by the 1970’s. Until the AF came out with the McPeak jacket. 

The crusher headgear looks like a South American Banana General. Soldiers are authorized to wear a stiffener in the cap. That’s really my only complaint with the uniform. Sort of like buying a brand new sports card  and taking a giant shinola on it. 

Some Civilians, Soldiers and Veterans will complain about anything. 

It’s a shame people have different thoughts and feelings about things.  I guess that = bitching to some but that is like assholes, everyone has one 

On 2/24/2023 at 10:02 AM, cavcon said:

So why is one ranger wearing straight leg pants?

He's not wearing a tab, so not Ranger-qualified.  Probably just wearing the beret by virtue of being assigned to a Ranger unit.

On 2/23/2023 at 8:25 AM, cavcon said:

It’s a shame that US soldiers look so unprofessional but it is a direct affect of the country’s leadership, or lack there of.   

Hardly, these were in the offing long before the last two POTUS and CSA were in office

By the way a rumpled OD wearing army was so unprofessional it beat the tailored Wehrmacht

• 6 months later...

Major General Todd Hunt, the Adjutant General of the North Carolina National Guard. Note that he is wearing both a 10th Mountain Division SSI as his combat patch on his right sleeve as well as a 10th Mountain Division Combat Service Identification Badge on his right breast pocket. Is that correct per regulations?

The second photo shows General Hunt wearing an Ike jacket with the combat patch but without the Combat Service Identification Badge.

Pinks and Greens.North Carolina National Guard.1.jpg

Pinks and Greens.North Carolina National Guard.2.jpg

With the return of fill color SSI on the service uniform sleeves, he probably shouldn't be wearing a Combat Service Identification Badge. That was developed for the blue Army Service Uniform that did not have SSI 

On 2/22/2023 at 7:03 PM, seanmc1114 said:

These were taken at a funeral in my hometown this morning. The fit of the pinks and greens looks awful, and these guys are Rangers.

D9DCB7DB-4811-44F2-AD46-08F677125638.jpeg

DBD8E47F-39E7-4B54-8656-362B25EF87C5.jpeg

38BDC7D4-1AE8-4521-B60B-4E912F4C344F.jpeg

Wow, those guys look like crap.  This is a Ranger unit?  They look like a bunch of Airsoft commandoes to be honest.  

First and foremost, I can't understand why the NCOIC of this detail didn't specify one uniform.  I know we're in a transition but there should be one single uniform, either blues or AGSU but not a combo.  

As far as the photos with the poor appearance of some soldiers, this has been an Army problem for a long time. 

When it comes to dress uniforms, the army always seems to have a good concept and then fails in the execution.  

From what I've seen, the Marines always make an effort to get their dress/class A uniforms tailored to fit the individual.  The Army doesn't make this a priority and as a result, Army uniforms often look like crap when worn by actual soldiers.  

I think another issue is that the Army solicits prototypes from uniform makers and the prototypes are made to a high standard and look good.  Then the Army contracts out the manufacturing to other manufacturers who slap things together in a slip shod fashion and the result is a uniform that looks like garbage.  

The thing is - for most soldiers, a dress uniform is something they wear once or twice a year.  Most units don't put an emphasis on making dress uniforms look good, the day-to-day priorities of training and maintenance will always take a higher priority and really, that's as it should be.  

It takes a squared away soldier to use his OWN time and his OWN money to make his dress uniform look good.  SPC Joe Schmoe who is only doing his 3 years and then getting out would rather play video games, go downtown and drink with his buddies or spend time with his girlfriend than devote the time and money it would take to make a dress uniform look good.  That's why most of the time if you see someone with a good looking uniform it's an NCO or an officer who has put time and effort into making the uniform look decent.  

Still not understand how the army can allow the jump boots and basque for blue dress army uniform, I hope they could fall back to the classic regulations of 1938: more quality, colors differences for each branch, shoulder cords m1902 for enlisted men, only visors or overseas cap and classic black officer's shoes

• 5 months later...
seanmc1114

Notice the female sergeant major. At first I though she was just wearing her belt backwards, but that may be intended. The buttons on the female jacket are on the opposit side than the ones on the male soldiers. Just like in other clothing, women's buttons and men's buttons are opposite each other. 

Pinks & Greens.Army Material Command.jpg