Army to Revisit "Pinks and Greens?"

tredhed2

I agree with some of the criticisms but I think it's way better than the awful ASU and the fact that they brought back the full color SSI is definitely a plus.

I'll admit I've never liked the Army blue uniform and I think the decision to get rid of the greens in favor of the blues was a serious mistake. The adoption of the ASU just demonstrated what a mish-mash of design features the Army blue uniform always was.

If they can dump the silly "50 mission crush" service cap, preferably in favor of a soft, pleated garrison cap (not the stiff "cone head" of the Army green uniform) like they had in WWII it would be a much better looking uniform overall.

Now that I have seen them, I don't like the "new" brown uniforms. The ones I have seen at the Iran incident briefings just do not look right with modern ribbons and insignia. The look more like South American generals in uniforms that imitated the US style, but were over burdened with insignia.

UPS driver Gil...

Plus if its a uniform to go back to the days of old why the dark buttons?..looks cheap.They have the bright buttons and well could have used them and were already available.More money wasted.

I don't love the new uniform and I don't hate it either. But I do agree that a lot of soldiers these days simply have too many insignia they are authorized to look good on these or really any other dress uniforms. Some junior NCO's have more ribbons than Eisenhower ever earned and there are way too many badges that are authorized to be worn that just clutter these uniforms up.

All these, "too many ribbons and stuff" comments are funny to me as I got out right before 9/11 and two rows even on a ladder-climbing staff puke O3 wasn't unusual then. I have just enough to make a single row from my peacetime service if you count the unit award I have...

Apologies if someone has posted this already, but here's a photo of GEN. Mark A. Milley wearing the new uniform. The uncrushed variant of the cap looks much better.

It appears that he's wearing bullion general stars, at the very least the stars are made out of some type of fabric.

I agree, this uncrushed version looks much better.

Yes his general stars are embroidered onto his uniform I believe. Here’s a better shot of them.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I agree with some of the criticisms but I think it's way better than the awful ASU and the fact that they brought back the full color SSI is definitely a plus.

I'll admit I've never liked the Army blue uniform and I think the decision to get rid of the greens in favor of the blues was a serious mistake. The adoption of the ASU just demonstrated what a mish-mash of design features the Army blue uniform always was.

If they can dump the silly "50 mission crush" service cap, preferably in favor of a soft, pleated garrison cap (not the stiff "cone head" of the Army green uniform) like they had in WWII it would be a much better looking uniform overall.

I loved the Blues for what they were meant to be, and liked wearing them. But loathed what they did to them to create the ASU. Not that it matters as I'm long retired, but I'm glad to see the Blues being returned to their formal status. And I like this new old look. I never had my Blues altered or bought the ASU. But will probably invest in these. Wouldn't mind grooming to standard again to don them when appropriate.

• 2 weeks later...

My first impression of the new cover was that it looked like a banana republic dictator's headwear. I'm of the mind that they look sloppy and don't project a military appearance. Back to the drawing board! Also, I feel bad for the people who are feeling the financial pinch of purchasing new uniform items. In 24 years in the USAF, I too had many occasions to drop some coin on new uniform items.... I can't say I ever happily spent my pay for that.

Ohhhh yeah! Makes me think of the McPeak era. Thank God I got out before they made us buy the airline pilot class A's.

I loved the Blues for what they were meant to be, and liked wearing them. But loathed what they did to them to create the ASU. Not that it matters as I'm long retired, but I'm glad to see the Blues being returned to their formal status.

I remember wearing dress blues with pride, including the day I was married. I recently read an online article that said that blue was never that color of the US Army. I would have to say that I disagree with that statement, starting with the American Revolution through the Civil War and beyond. Despite the AG Green uniform of my day, the dress blue uniform tied you to decades of tradition. And it was more minimalist than all the bells and whistles they loaded up on the ASU. And I could not understand for the life of me why they thought a white shirt was suitable for daily wear as a Class B uniform. The troops all looked like they should be driving an ice cream truck.

The troops all looked like they should be driving an ice cream truck.

Exactly! Nothing worse than the summer version - light blue trousers with gold stripe, white shirt (with way too many trinkets) and black beret. A total monstrosity!

Ohhhh yeah! Makes me think of the McPeak era. Thank God I got out before they made us buy the airline pilot class A's.

The only possibly good thing about that uniform was you wore just your top 3 ribbons (not the other 26 rows of "perfect attendance" ribbons a typical USAF E4 would have).

I propose replacing all the service ribbons with a single badge showing just a bar code. You swipe the badge with your smart phone (which has the proper app) and a read-out of wearer's entire service history displays.

Couple of quick observations on this thread..

-No, the persons modeling the uniforms are not 'actors', they really are actual service members.

-Some concern was expressed about awards being far more common than in previous eras. Got it. For what its worth, award issuance has absolutely become less frequent than it was a 5-10-15 years ago during OIF/OEF, as combat deployments have become increasingly scarce. 2 of my E7s with combat deployments don't even have a single ARCOM (just 2-3 AAMs and a single JSAM each), and very few of my junior soldiers have anything more than the basic participation awards (Airborne wings, GCM, NDSM, ASR). Probably 10% of my combat arms organization wear combat patches, whereas in the mid 2000's it was 90%+. The pendulum has swung back towards being a garrison Army, and award issuance reflects this (sadly, so does experience and knowledge within the force).

-Field Grade and General Officers wearing 2 rows of ribbons is more a function of venue than it is regulation. There is some discussion of it here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/127534-why-does-he-wear-only-2-rows/page-2

I don't understand why the bronze buttons, and not the gold buttons. The gold ones looked much better. Are they trying to copy Marine officer's buttons. As we can see during WW2 all kinds of variations were allowed, and since this was an officer's uniform you could be creative if you had the $$$$.

post-470-0-86617300-1581030473_thumb.jpg

I don't understand why the bronze buttons, and not the gold buttons. The gold ones looked much better. Are they trying to copy Marine officer's buttons. As we can see during WW2 all kinds of variations were allowed, and since this was an officer's uniform you could be creative if you had the $$$$.

I believe the term the army is using to describe the button color is "antiqued". But yes the gold ones look so much better, the current color doesn't go well with the uniform at all. The "prototypes" of these modern P&G uniforms exhibited to the military and public did indeed have gold buttons.

DOtVDH-XUAEkVaE.jpg7hzg3p9f4xqz.jpg

img_4753.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

From the NCO Leadership Center Of Excellence Facebook page: "Last week the NCOL CoE and USASMA welcomed the students of Sergeants Major Course Class 70. With Friday being the official opening ceremonies, the command team took the opportunity to showcase the Army's newest uniform, the "Army Greens" service uniform. Pictured, Command Sgts. Maj. Jimmy Sellers ®, commandant, and Michael Henry (l), deputy commandant, pose for a picture in the headquarters foyer after attending opening day ceremonies. Officials said the uniform is expected to be fielded to soldiers reporting to their first units beginning in summer 2020, and all soldiers will be required to have the uniform eight years after that."

post-1761-0-00293000-1582218123_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 7/10/2020 at 8:09 AM, seanmc1114 said:

Adjutant General and Command Sergeant Major of the Mississippi Army National Guard in November 2019

Pinks & Greens.Mississippi Adjutant General.1.jpg

Pinks & Greens.Mississippi Adjutant General.2.jpg

They need to make the headgear the soft pleated garrison cap (WWII and post WWII style), not the stiff "conehead" cap of the Army Green uniform.  Not only does it look better, it's cheaper and easier for soldiers to take care of.  

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Colt Tanker

That belt end needs a hidden snap to hold the end in place. That was how they secured these wool belts neatly in the day.

Yes, needs a snap sewn on the backside but that belt is way too long. I'm guessing he's a newly promoted O-7 in that photo as he's still wearing his JAG branch insignia.