Army to Revisit "Pinks and Greens?"

tredhed2

They've been "considering" the switch back to the pinks and greens for a long time now and quite honestly I don't think anything is going to come of it. I would be very surprised if it actually happened.

Of course the fallacy is that pinks and greens were only worn by officers, so it wouldn't be a traditional uniform for most of the Army. I guess the Army is discovering what most people predicted; the dress blue adaptation doesn't work. The Army had a green service uniform and they got rid of it, remember? Sheesh. I think all of the services need to keep their senior folks from tinkering around with uniforms during their relatively short tenures. The whole thing has become a mess...

Yeah, I thought the whole point of scrapping Army Green was that they said they didn't need another uniform between blues and camo?

The writer seems a little out of her depth. The Army has used the ASU as formal and business wear for "several decades?"

So we see it will be for both Os and EMs, and with Brown low quarters, interesting, will that mean airborne will be wearing Brown Jump Boots then!.

Okay so all you active duty members in the Army right now, get your M1926 OD coats you got in your closets ready to wear again, OD Service and Garrison Caps too :D. Hey I wonder if they go with the old OD side caps, will they be in the old style with branch piping!

It's a sharp looking uniform but there have just been too many changes over the past few years to shake everything up again. The whole point of the ASU is that there are very few occasions for most soldiers to wear a Class A uniform. Besides, the Good Idea Fairy would probably add so many badges and doodads that pinks & greens would end up looking just as ridiculous as previous uniforms.

I just read on The British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum that the Canadian Special Forces that trace their lineage to the FSSF have just changed their dress uniforms to something similar to the WW2 era "Pinks & Greens" uniform.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/06/05/new-cansof-dress-uniform/

post-1389-0-24122800-1507769525_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-82607900-1507769542_thumb.jpg

Of course the fallacy is that pinks and greens were only worn by officers, so it wouldn't be a traditional uniform for most of the Army. I guess the Army is discovering what most people predicted; the dress blue adaptation doesn't work. The Army had a green service uniform and they got rid of it, remember? Sheesh. I think all of the services need to keep their senior folks from tinkering around with uniforms during their relatively short tenures. The whole thing has become a mess...

+10

Some just need to learn to leave well enough alone and leave fashion to LL Bean and Ralph Lauren

Okay so all you active duty members in the Army right now, get your M1926 OD coats you got in your closets ready to wear again, OD Service and Garrison Caps too :D. Hey I wonder if they go with the old OD side caps, will they be in the old style with branch piping!

That would Really put the Vintage in Vintage :D.

In all honesty, those prototype "Pinks and Greens" style uniforms look a million times better than the dress blues presently being worn, which look as ridiculous as wearing a tuxedo to work in place of a regular business suit. Green and olive drab present a "Military" appearance, that just isnt there with the blues. Nevertheless, I think given all the fiascoes with uniform changes in the Army over the past few years, there is little chance of a pinks and greens uniform being brought back --as awesome as that would be....

:lol: ....and wool high collars

Exactly! If they really want to go "historical," with the 100th anniversary of the First World War, maybe they should go back to the whole doughboy uniform complete with jodhpurs and campaign hats. I once had a WWII veteran that the best hat the army ever had was the campaign hat and he never got to wear it because the cavalry was the only branch that still allowed them to be worn.

Now that would be a sight to behold!

Allan

Many questions come to mind. The photos so far are all with coats, but would there be a Class B, and what would it look like? Short sleeve tan shirt with enlisted sleeve rank and collar brass, over pink pants? The officer in the photos is wearing rank and branch on the shirt collar, but I thought one of the reasons they went with shoulder slides in the '70s was because people didn't like messing up the shirt collar by sticking pins through it.

carbinephalen

Hopefully the Air Force can borrow all of the Army's lightly used dress blues when the changeover happens so we have something somewhat military-like to wear....

Maybe an experiment that will last as long as the recent attempt by the USN to reinstate the CPO and O service dress khaki. Lasted just a couple of years while the proponents were in service, then faded after they retired.. Too expensive..

Many questions come to mind. The photos so far are all with coats, but would there be a Class B, and what would it look like? Short sleeve tan shirt with enlisted sleeve rank and collar brass, over pink pants? The officer in the photos is wearing rank and branch on the shirt collar, but I thought one of the reasons they went with shoulder slides in the '70s was because people didn't like messing up the shirt collar by sticking pins through it.

This is the only Class B photo I have seen.

post-32676-0-45746300-1507856636_thumb.jpg