Spectacular Bullion Navy Rates

dpcsdan

Thanks!

I'm not sure if they are or not...or might just be silver that has a golden patina on it. Here's another pic of the same rate...

I believe the persons making some of these more interesting bullion pieces used different, contrasting, types of "tubed bullion" to artistically create an outstanding piece of work. This RM piece is very nice, so is the first piece shown in this thread.

-dan

Scarce Aviation Photographer's Mate (1948-53). Actually authorized from 1948-50, but allowed a "wear out" date of Dec. 31, 1953. Very scarce in bullion.

-dan

post-769-1288354992.jpg

It doesn't show up nearly as well on khaki, but this chief Air Controlman (1948-77), early 1960s version shown, has very intricate bullion work.

-dan

post-769-1288355323.jpg

Here's an intricate Radarman I just purchased. The more interesting contrast is enhanced by the fact that one style of bullion "patina-ed" differently than the other style of bullion that was used.

-dan

post-769-1288356110.jpg

Here's an intricate Radarman I just purchased. The more interesting contrast is enhanced by the fact that one style of bullion "patina-ed" differently than the other style of bullion that was used.

-dan

post-769-1288356110.jpg

Ah...I was bidding on that one. It is a very nice bullion example.

I am going to post my collection soon but here is a start. This I got on ebay for $250 "buy it now" I was the first and only one to lay eyes on this listing, it's like it was meant to be. CPO, red chevron, Pilot rate, bullion on forestry green, unauthorized but worn anyway.

post-14426-1288829568.jpg

CPO, bullion, gold wing, forestry green, unused, uncut, unauthorized. Extremely rare!

Nice!

I picked one of these up in a trade, but when I got it home and hit it with black light the back glowed like an x-ray. I didn't send it back to the trader, but he did cut the price by 50%, so I've got it as a "filler" in my collection. From the front mine looks excellent, but mine is almost surely a fake.

Good find, I also like the red chevron version you picked up.

-dan

Nice!

I picked one of these up in a trade, but when I got it home and hit it with black light the back glowed like an x-ray. I didn't send it back to the trader, but he did cut the price by 50%, so I've got it as a "filler" in my collection. From the front mine looks excellent, but mine is almost surely a fake.

-dan

I also did the blacklight test (on the green bullion gold) it has a very weak glow, not that intense glow I get from my 1960s and later rates I have. There are small specs of more intense glow, but they are tiny little particles. I do not get a good glow so my conclusion is that maybe it may have been cleaned at one point in time, that gives it that very dull glow, the dull glow in when I scan the back by the backing of the bullion eagle. The good thing is, is that I am not getting that intense glow.

Nice!

-dan

Thanks Dan, I still am in disbelief I got one of these and did not have to pay $500+ for it, I think I saw that on your site that's too bad it's not real, are you going to be updating your site soon?

Had to add my two cents in with 2 different one not shown

post-17275-1288991334.jpg

Here is a 1st CL Parachute Rigger or whatever they named them now.

post-17275-1288991445.jpg

Had to add my two cents in with 2 different one not shown

Excellent is that early 90s MCPON? I have one I bought directly off vanguard for $43, I am going to post pics soon.

Thanks Dan, I still am in disbelief I got one of these and did not have to pay $500+ for it, I think I saw that on your site that's too bad it's not real, are you going to be updating your site soon?

I plan to update my site and photo gallery after I retire, for the 3rd time, next summer.

At that time I'll also re-do my CPO collection in specialty alpha order and limit each specialty to one example. I have many more of them in bullion than I had when I made my first photos.

Thanks for asking,

-dan

PO1 Cook

post-2501-1289085091.jpg

Jason

That's an interesting one, beside the very nice bullion work. It appears to be from the period when Cook and Steward POs wore CPO style uniforms. I'm not sure when they went to standard crackerjacks, late '50s? The specialty mark was changed in 1963.

Thanks for posting,

Justin B.

• 2 months later...

I know that I already posted these to my latest acquisitions thread, but I wanted to present them in this fantastic thread.

Pharmacist's Mate Chief:

5334024273_2769658184_b.jpg

Machinist's Mate Chief on khaki (bullion):

5334828068_efa5e3b5d2_b.jpg

Boatswain's Mate Chief on Khaki (bullion):

5334830670_06c461d272_b.jpg

Fire Controlman Chief (bullion):

5334836220_96823775ce_b.jpg

Midshipman (I don't know much about these, yet):

5334847808_b61f08d53d_b.jpg

Very nice.

I really like the Fire Controlman CPO.

-dan

Me too. The radar director mark was only authorized about 10 years for fire control technician, it's always good to see them.

Thanks for the posts,

Justin B.

• 3 weeks later...

Aviation Electronics Technician Petty Officer First Class in bullion.

-dan

post-769-1296574719.jpg

Off of one of my uniforms.

Senior Chief Data Processing Technician (DPCS).

-dan

post-769-1296574896.jpg

• 2 weeks later...