Spectacular Bullion Navy Rates

dpcsdan

You are correct Dennie, not a CPO rate nor is it a WW2 era rate. But, it was in use just outside the WW2 era, pretty difficult to find, and unusual in that there were no CPOs in the Sailmaker rate. I just had to have it. I should mention that it is the only 1st class bullion rate I have. I need to keep it a little longer.😄 I do love the red/blue one from Helvey's collection.

I'm not surprised at your response; that must be one of the most difficult rates to find, especially considering that there is not a CPO rate in the rating.  Have you seen many of the silver bullion examples?  Also, I understand that the rating is Sailmaker's Mate.  Would there have been a Warrant Sailmaker and I wonder what insignia he would have worn?  I know of the early mark bearing the image of a fid but that was worn by the mates, I believe.  Probably a question I should post in a related forum. 

2 minutes ago, busternfo said:

I'm not surprised at your response; that must be one of the most difficult rates to find, especially considering that there is not a CPO rate in the rating.  Have you seen many of the silver bullion examples?  Also, I understand that the rating is Sailmaker's Mate.  Would there have been a Warrant Sailmaker and I wonder what insignia he would have worn?  I know of the early mark bearing the image of a fid but that was worn by the mates, I believe.  Probably a question I should post in a related forum. 

There was a Warrant Sailmaker, that was one of the original Warrants when the USN was established. I believe they wore an “S” on their shoulder straps into about 1866, then (IIRC) a Diamond as a mark. Not sure when they went away. 

3 hours ago, busternfo said:

Hi Steve,  Thanks for the info. on Warrant Sailmaker.  Please tell me what IIRC stands for. 

Dennie

“If I Recall Correctly “

On 10/20/2022 at 12:42 PM, busternfo said:

My mistake. I forgot to add Mate to Sailmaker.

• 4 weeks later...

Showed this one off on the ASMIC FB page. Description says it's a martini glass but I like to think of it as the "Holy Grail" of Navy rates 😅

20221113_164558.jpg