Spectacular Bullion Navy Rates

dpcsdan

Another version of the Boilermaker Cpo in Bullion

post-2501-1236438423.jpg

Jason

Jason,

Is this Boilermaker in your collection?

This particular design of the specialty mark was very short lived (1976-77) for a few months.

Nice!

-dan

Senior Chief Photographer's Mate.

post-769-1239710033.jpg

In rough shape, but very early (~1912) Electrician First Class (Radioman Qualified).

post-769-1239710422.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK, technically not a true naval rate, but it is naval related. Annapolis Cadet Senior CPO in bullion.

post-569-1241025353.jpg

And its reverse:

post-569-1241025413.jpg

Here are a couple tough rates to find. I think the official designation of this is "aircrew survival equipmentman", the first on blue:

post-569-1241461579.jpg

Reverse

post-569-1241461624.jpg

And again on gray.

post-569-1241461654.jpg

Reverse

post-569-1241461690.jpg

Some new rates came today. First one is a pre ww2 Pharmacist Mate.

post-2501-1242333520.jpg

Aviation Machinist's mate on grey

post-2501-1242333677.jpg

Aviation Ordnanceman on grey.

post-2501-1242333777.jpg

Last one, Aviation Photographer's Mate (1948-1953)

post-2501-1242333913.jpg

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

Aviation Electronics Technician CPO marked GEMSCO manufacturer. This bullion still displays a high shine with no tarnishing, yet.

post-769-1244225173.jpg

• 1 month later...

Although this is not a rating badge, it is an early distinguishing mark, but it is very rare and is done in thin wire bullion. It's an engineering striker mark, I believe pre-WWI, although it is a named blouse/jumper, this DM is not listed in Navy Uniform regulations. I've seen three good examples of this DM.

-dan

post-769-1248979372.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is a bullion Petty Officer 1st Class Sailmaker's Mate rate with good conduct gold chevrons. As previously mentioned, this rate only went to 1st Class. There were no CPO Sailmaker's Mates.

post-1466-1251751127.jpg

This is a bullion Aviation Carpenter's Mate for the Aviation green uniform (1918-1940).

-fritz

post-1466-1251752028.jpg

+ 1 ... PO1 with the six gold hashmarks. Typical for a boatswains mate called "an old salt". Twenty four years service with good conduct but only a PO1 (can't make out the speciality mark on the rating badge).

EDIT: Pictures are lost

+ 1 ... PO1 with the six gold hashmarks. Typical for a boatswains mate called "an old salt". Twenty four years service with good conduct but only a PO1 (can't make out the speciality mark on the rating badge).

usn123dzw2.jpg

usn4jc7.jpg

If you notice, he only has 16 years worth of Good Conduct ribbons/stars. The Navy has changed the rules for wearing Gold several times. At one time, it was cumulitive, meaning is you could muster up 12 years of good conduct throughout a career, you got gold. Then there was a time that if you got gold, you kept it even if you did not continue with good conduct. And then there were some guys that simply chose not to go up for Chief. I knew guys like that who were happy being a First Class and had no desire to be Chiefs. Before the Navy went into the "Up or Out" mode, I knew a Sailor who had 12 years of good conduct and was still a Seaman (BMSN, E-3 Boatswains Mate). He just liked being a leading Seaman (he did not wear gold hashmarks as there are no gold E-3 stripes). I also saw a Third Class Torpedoman (Submarines) with 4 gold hashmarks. He liked where he was and what he did.

Great uniforms though, love seeing all the hashmarks.

Steve Hesson

If you notice, he only has 16 years worth of Good Conduct ribbons/stars. The Navy has changed the rules for wearing Gold several times. At one time, it was cumulitive, meaning is you could muster up 12 years of good conduct throughout a career, you got gold. Then there was a time that if you got gold, you kept it even if you did not continue with good conduct. And then there were some guys that simply chose not to go up for Chief. I knew guys like that who were happy being a First Class and had no desire to be Chiefs. Before the Navy went into the "Up or Out" mode, I knew a Sailor who had 12 years of good conduct and was still a Seaman (BMSN, E-3 Boatswains Mate). He just liked being a leading Seaman (he did not wear gold hashmarks as there are no gold E-3 stripes). I also saw a Third Class Torpedoman (Submarines) with 4 gold hashmarks. He liked where he was and what he did.

Great uniforms though, love seeing all the hashmarks.

Steve Hesson

Nice PO1 uniform.

I never ran across a seaman with three hashmarks, saw a number of seaman and fireman with two hashmarks.

-dan

Nice PO1 uniform.

I never ran across a seaman with three hashmarks, saw a number of seaman and fireman with two hashmarks.

-dan

His name was BMSN "Head Dog" Passaow. I was an SM3 with a measly 2 and a half years in and he scared the Hell out of me. I thought he was just another slug who couldn't hold onto a rate until I saw him dressed out in dress blues with BMSN stripes, three hashmarks and three Good Conduct medals (along with the other stuff that went with service through the '60s, early '70s.

Steve Hesson

Salvage Sailor

I've actually seen a gold three hashmark Seaman. He was at Great Lakes going to an A School in early 1977. At first I though he was a busted PO, but now I think he was an OSVET (Other services veteran) who transferred to the USN which was quite common in the post Vietnam navy. I've told the story before of the ex-USAF OSVET in my A School class. When the LT was inspecting us at graduation, he stopped in front of this Seaman......

Aircrew wings, Air medals, bronze star, good conduct, Vietnam ribbons, ......The LT asks "are those really yours?"

"Yes Sir!" says the newly minted OSSN......next day, instant OS2 (E-5)

That may have happened to the 'Gold' Seaman I saw too, never did find out what his story was.

Stinger Gunner USMC

usn123dzw2.jpg

usn4jc7.jpg

He is a Boatswain's mate 1/c. I like that one!

• 3 weeks later...

post-2104-1253835933.jpg

Here is something a bit different. This is an American Civil War US Navy Petty Officers badge. It is made of silver bullion on blue wool. It is hand stitched and was made commercially for sale to Sailors between 1852 and 1866. When I first saw this badge, I thought is was a machine sewn repro (there was no machine enbroidery at that time). However when I looked at the back, I could see it was hand stitched. It belongs to an aquaintance in Seattle. He got it about 50 years ago when he was 14 for helping a neighbor clean a bunch of rotted clothes out of a shed. This badge was in with the clothing and the owner did not collect Navy stuff and was going to toss it. I shudder to think what else was in the piles.

Steve Hesson

post-2104-1253836251.jpg

Back of blue CW PO badge. It was covered in worn black cotton. You can just see the stitching.

Steve Hesson

Steve

sigsaye said:
post-2104-1253835933.jpg

Here is something a bit different. This is an American Civil War US Navy Petty Officers badge. It is made of silver bullion on blue wool. It is hand stitched and was made commercially for sale to Sailors between 1852 and 1866. When I first saw this badge, I thought is was a machine sewn repro (there was no machine enbroidery at that time). However when I looked at the back, I could see it was hand stitched. It belongs to an aquaintance in Seattle. He got it about 50 years ago when he was 14 for helping a neighbor clean a bunch of rotted clothes out of a shed. This badge was in with the clothing and the owner did not collect Navy stuff and was going to toss it. I shudder to think what else was in the piles.

Steve Hesson

Here's an interesting Electrician's mate 1st class rating badge that I won on ebay.This one looks foreign made, anybody have any thoughts on this one.

The chevrons look gold in photo , but they are faded and have a pinkish color to them. On the back, you can see they were probably red at one time.

post-2501-1254437002.jpg

post-2501-1254437020.jpg

Next one is a khaki CPO Quartermaster WW2

post-2501-1254437213.jpg

Last one is a Pre WW2 CPO Machinist's Mate

post-2501-1254437219.jpg

Jason

Here's an interesting Electrician's mate 1st class rating badge that I won on ebay.This one looks foreign made, anybody have any thoughts on this one.

The chevrons look gold in photo , but they are faded and have a pinkish color to them. On the back, you can see they were probably red at one time.

Great rate! Theater-made USN rates are very unusual. The reverse red threads on that P01 Electrician are very similar to Italian-made US Army shoulder patches I have seen.

Kurt

Great rate! Theater-made USN rates are very unusual. The reverse red threads on that P01 Electrician are very similar to Italian-made US Army shoulder patches I have seen.

Kurt

Thanks for the reply, I am curious where this was made at and maybe your on to something there.

Another rate I just got, Pharmacist mate CPO on gray

post-2501-1254528531.jpg

Jason

great stuff guys,here is my only one,this one is special to me because it was my grandfathers, he served in the Navy from 1935-65,im not sure what time frame this is from,my family has 3 footlockers full of stuff from his navy years insignia, photos, documents,Japanese stuff he brought back from PTO etc.

post-3084-1254536658.jpg