Saved from the Cutting Torch

McDermut99

A couple months ago I was helping my boss deliver a load of scrap metal to one of the local scrap recycling facilities. After dumping the load he went in to get the money for the metal and I stayed outside. Looking towards one of the piles I saw what looked like an aircraft tank. Once I got to the pile and took a better look at it I couldn't believe that it was a WWII USAAC oxygen tank. Luckily the yard was ok with when people take a small item or two when they bring in a large load, so I tossed it in the car and took it home.

It's not in the best shape, with most of the paint missing and some of the bands are out of place, but I just couldn't leave it there to be cut up and melted down. There's another tank in similar condition at a local antique shop that I've known about but have held off on buying, but I'm seriously considering buying it and using the two tanks to make a set of lamps (without damaging them of course. If anyone has done anything similar I would love to see them!)

Long story short there's still gems out there, just keep an eye out!

(P.S.-If anyone could tell me what the rim stamping means I would greatly appreciate it!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a suggestion but rather than make a lamp out of it, why don't you see if a group restoring a WWII aircraft could use it?

Having volunteered on restoring a WWII airplane, I know how important it is to find original items.

...Kat

Just a suggestion but rather than make a lamp out of it, why don't you see if a group restoring a WWII aircraft could use it?

Having volunteered on restoring a WWII airplane, I know how important it is to find original items.

...Kat

Before I came across this tank I was considering buying the other one I mentioned in the antique store. During that period the CAF's B-17 "Texas Raiders" made a stop in Amarillo. While I was visiting I spoke with one of the men who worked on her about the tank and if they would be interested in it. He was very polite but said that of all the parts they needed oxygen tanks were pretty close to the bottom of the list. That being said you do have a point, and I haven't yet contacted all the organizations who could use a tank for their plane(s).

or you could build the rest of the plane around it :)

I just might if I were to ever win the lottery! If someone can build a Spitfire around a single bolt why can't I build a bomber around a single oxygen tank? ?

I have seen several tanks turned into air storage tanks or air compressor tanks...just another practical use for surplus gear..

A nice find and better save....