Glasses in Marine Corps during WW1 and WW2

Wallis

I believe I saw a Pacific Theater marine on one of the WW2 Military Channel shows a couple of nights ago. I know that doesn't mean much but it reminded me of this thread when I saw it.

I believe I saw a Pacific Theater marine on one of the WW2 Military Channel shows a couple of nights ago. I know that doesn't mean much but it reminded me of this thread when I saw it.

• 8 months later...
Kurt Barickman

I have had USMC groups in the past but not any now where there were issue eyeglasses within the grouping.. My Father tried to join the USMC in early 1942 but was rejected due to his color blindness.

Kurt

• 4 years later...

Eye Glasses on this officer with Smedly Butler, gives only name as Col Snyder, I.C. Snyder???? Can't find anything on a Colonel Snyder USMC for whatever reason. Says photo taken in China, but looks like a stateside base right, no date.

eyeglasssnyder butler.PNG

I would say likely mid to late twenties based on Butlers ribbon bar and hat style. I know a butler spent considerable time in China.  He retired in 1931. Neat photo, thanks for sharing. 

Salvage Sailor

The initials in the photo caption above are incorrect...

Colonel Harold C. Snyder, USMC

photo below circa 1923 - He was a contemporary of LeJune, Feland & Pendelton.  Referred to as "LeJune's right hand man"

Served in Haiti, Dominican Republic, France, China, etc.

NH45018.jpeg.4a85ee220c7180245919cf36dc0da283.jpeg

Screenshot2023-09-29073757.png.b45f972adaa569dae402c8679035e34a.png

Screenshot2023-09-29073114.png.ca98f2eb6bc138f261de44f4a259bf64.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2017 at 10:46 PM, Brig said:

Maybe someone has the enlistment requirements for the era. I recall reading that many men who joined the Army had been turned away from the Marine Corps for very strict dental requirements, perhaps the same is true for glasses.

I have over a hundred photos of Marines WWII and prior, and now that you mention it, I don't think any of them are wearing glasses in them

Holland M. Smith the exception

howlin mad.jpg

9 hours ago, Linedoggie said:

Holland M. Smith the exception

howlin mad.jpg

You were allowed to stay in if you developed a need for them, they just wouldn't let you join if you needed them beforehand

• 2 weeks later...