Antique store find

hawkdriver

Today, while perusing a antique store, I found a knife that has me stumped. It is the handle and guard of a M3 fighting knife. The butt cap appears to be correct, however, the blade does not look like the bayonet blade of the M3. The blade has the normal blade shape of a normal hunting knife. I at first passed it by as having a replacement blade, but when I looked at it closer, it had the word imperial on the blade just forward of the guard. The guy wanted $12.50 for it, I thought about getting it to use to replace the leather washers on my M3 that is missing a couple. Any ideas what it is?

This one was on the Gun Broker auction site. It was a reserve auction, but the reserve was not met. I have no idea if this is really WWII or its value. The seller only listed it as an "Imperial Fighting Knife." He had a close-up of the ricassso and the Imperial name stamped in it.

If this is close to what you're looking at, it might be worth toucing base with Gary "bayonetman," Frank Trzeska, or Greg Robinson, all members here on the forum. This is about all the help I can offer.

(You might try Google: "Imperial Fighting Knife" minus "M3" as an advanced search.)

If the knife's genuine WWII, it might be worth more than the M3 you want the washers for. If it's genuine, the 12 bucks might also be a steal.

Good luck,

Mike

post-626-1225765653.jpg

Another one, same site: Gun Broker, same seller. This one was identified as an "Imperial Mk I, WWII Fighting Knife." It had a repro M6 leather scabbard (identified as a repro by the seller). The reserve was not met, but the seller had a $95 buy it now + $15 shipping.

Again, I have no idea about "genuiness," but maybe it'll give you an idea.

Mike

post-626-1225767112.jpg

This one was on the Gun Broker auction site. It was a reserve auction, but the reserve was not met. I have no idea if this is really WWII or its value. The seller only listed it as an "Imperial Fighting Knife." He had a close-up of the ricassso and the Imperial name stamped in it.

If this is close to what you're looking at, it might be worth toucing base with Gary "bayonetman," Frank Trzeska, or Greg Robinson, all members here on the forum. This is about all the help I can offer.

(You might try Google: "Imperial Fighting Knife" minus "M3" as an advanced search.)

If the knife's genuine WWII, it might be worth more than the M3 you want the washers for. If it's genuine, the 12 bucks might also be a steal.

Good luck,

Mike

It looked almost exactly like this one, to include the sheath. The guys name was scratched into the sheath and his initials into the leather washer. Thinking I may go back and get it, can't loose much on $12.50

Style is one of the many variations of the NAVY Mark 1 utility knife (made starting in 1943), & I'd say it's one of the more desirable types.

I beg to differ. IMHO it's a "Pilot Survival Knife," military issue from 1953-1957, designated "MIL-k-8662(AER)." It was replaced by the Jet Pilot Knife.

I stand by My statement > production began in 1943, & it's a WWII knife. It's possible this type was also issued as a survival knife: later.

Well, sounds like I need to go rescue her. If flying and voting allow any time today, I will get it and post a picture of her here. I am just gunshy on knives after my repro bayonet last weekend.

Hawkdriver,

At $12.50 you can't lose, no matter what it is.

PS I've e-mailed Frank Trzaska asking him to give us his expert opinion.

Greg Robinson
Hawkdriver,

At $12.50 you can't lose, no matter what it is.

PS I've e-mailed Frank Trzaska asking him to give us his expert opinion.

It is NOT a WW2 Navy Mk 1 although many reference books say it is. Frank Trzasak is credited with solving this mystery several years ago. As I recall there were three makers of this 1950's pilot's knife. What sets it apart from the WW2 Mk 1 is the leather washer handle.

Greg

According to SGM's posted picture, that's a commercial hunting knife made in the 1950s or early 60's. Shrade made a similer knife that often shows up at shows and auctions as a WW2 fighting knife. The red spacers are a dead giveaway.

OK, here it is. $13 and some change and I am thinking it may not be legit, but I'll let y'all decide.

Right side and top of sheath

2zqeudg.jpg

Left side and bottom of sheath

105b2tv.jpg

The Imperial stamp, says provenance RI under it.

2mhahog.jpg

OK, here it is. $13 and some change and I am thinking it may not be legit, but I'll let y'all decide.

Right side and top of sheath

2zqeudg.jpg

Left side and bottom of sheath

105b2tv.jpg

The Imperial stamp, says provenance RI under it.

2mhahog.jpg

It's a really nice knife for 13.00 reguardless if military or not.

Frank Trzaska

Congrats Hawkdriver on a nice find, your now 1-1-0.

It is indeed a Pilot Survival Knife as I call it in collector speak or a MIL-K-8662 (AER) officially as Gunbarrel points out. This knife was officially adopted on 16 October 1953 in response to a 1952 Navy Aeronautics Board request. From the 5 rivet scabbard we can tell it is pre 21 July 1954 when it was redesigned to add an extra rivet and officially listed as MIL-K-8662 (AER) Amendment -1. So you have a fairly short window when this knife was produced. It is not a WW II knife.

In the photos posted by SGM both appear to have the incorrect sheaths with them. The first knife may be correct but would need to see it closer and see the markings as well. The red spacer knives are commercial not military.

All the best

Frank Trzaska

As you can see on the sheath, the initials LWS are scratched. On one of the leather washers is scratched the name Scott. This wouldn't be of much interest, but if you look close enough, on the inside of the sheath where the handle would be, is scratched S6238, lending to the fact that it was probably the owners ID.

What would you say is the probably worth?

thebladeslinger

I tend to agree with those who have already said: for $13 its a bargain! Any good knife under 15 or 20 bucks is a bargain these days. The military connection (thanks Mr. Trzaska for that info) is just icing on the cake.

• 3 weeks later...