Stunning Coast Guard Killed in Service Early Coast Guard Aviation Pioneer Dogtag and Pin

TheMariner

I found this excellent and incredibly rare early coast guard aviator dog tag and pin last weekend! The tag belonged to Stuart T. Scharfenstein he was an early aviator and it appears he was a 1948 coast guard academy graduate more info on his service would be appreciated! He and his crew all passed away in a tragic training accident on June 29th 1961 when there aircraft Sikorsky H04S-36 5509 crashed into the sea off Massachusetts all crew members died. This tag appears to be issued in 1950 and is actually sterling silver! The other pin has his initials and appears to be CC on it! That is really all i know about them! he is listed in a number of publication! Just thought you would all be interested in seeing this extremely rare tag! Curious question would he have been wearing the tag when the incident occurred ?

post-160496-0-64010700-1507310143_thumb.jpgpost-160496-0-86254300-1507310148_thumb.jpg

Great tag! I’m assuming it would not have been worn at the time. By the early 60’s the coast guard was using notched tags like everyone else.

Great tag! I’m assuming it would not have been worn at the time. By the early 60’s the coast guard was using notched tags like everyone else.

Thank you! Yeah i was figuring most likely not but you never know! I was very surprised to come across it tags from killed coast guard aviators are not easy to find!

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

@TheMariner Stuart T. Scharfenstein was my uncle. His wife, my aunt, was a student at Connecticut College and gave him the pendant engraved with his initials. I would like to buy these items from you then reunite them with Stuart T. Scharfenstein's daughters. Please contact me at [email protected]. Thank you.