Footlocker from Goodwill

GUDMAR1975

Does anyone recognize if this is GI or private purchase? The quality of wood and hardware is better than the footoockers I was issued on active duty in the 1980s. The US looks like it might have been written or enhanced with a sharpie. The small oval disc is unreadable. Thanks!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I have one almost exactly like yours if not very close to, it has the same size and shape tag. Mine was made in 1947 and did come from a veterans estate, except it was missing the tray. I believe it was a private purchase, but I could be wrong. Its painted OD green inside and out but no "US". This type of trunk was extremely well built, much better than the simple wood panel footlockers you always see.

Looks to me like an officer's footlocker. You can see what looks like an officer's serial number in white: O-29018 in white and O29018 in black.

You can also read Destination Mannheim, Germany in both white and black. This would indicate to me that it is post-war.

Looks typical 40s era.

I have seen the little metal oval tags on these and field desks dated at times from the manufacturer.May be hard to read with the over paint.

Appears to be multiple stencils on the locker and hard to say how many trips it made or how long the vet was in the service.

I agree with Doyler that this could indeed be a 1940s era footlocker, and the markings could be from his continued service after the war. His serial number seems to be fairly low (5 digits) and if I'm seeing the markings correctly, he was a Major which tends to indicate he has been in the service for a while. Researching his name & number might help nail it down.

Gents-

The one the OP was asking about is the one in the first post. The second one is an example found online; it does not belong to the OP.

Dave

Ah! Thanks for the clarification, Dave. I'll try to read the posts more carefully in the future.

That said, I would agree that the footlocker shown could be WWII issue, but probably is not an issue item for enlisted men.

I have never seen one of these type trunks with a "US" on it. There is usually a date on the small metal tag, sometimes hard to read because of the paint. The only dates I have ever seen are post WW2, 1947, 1949, etc. Also, seems I remember reading somewhere enlisted men were issued the plywood "foot locker", while officers had trunks similar to the one you show.

I have two footlockers similar in looks to the one you show. Both are named to enlisted. I suspect one dates to pre-WW2 while the other 50's. I'll take some pictures tomorrow when I have some light. Kim